Extremely annoying rattle noise with iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by GrannySmith, Dec 5, 2012.

1. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

So I recently got a new iPhone 5 and i love it. Except for one issue i also had on my 4s. That camera lens rattle they call it.

WHENEVER i place my phone down on carpet, a hard surface (desk) or tap it theres this annoying rattle noise. I've been told its the camera and on my 4s i had this same issue. I swapped my 4s in but got a a replacement with the same issue so i let it go.

however, with the 5 it seems that it is louder and more noticeable. Is this normal? The iPhone 5 camera has more lenses or something? My friend's has a much less noticeable rattle so i'm thinking of going to Apple to see if it actually is a normal rattle or maybe something else or swapping it out.Everytime i shake it there is also a rattle.

So, what do you guys suggest i do? Live with the issue or swap it out for a new phone that could possibly have the same issue? I have a zagg screen protector on my current iPhone 5 so if i swap it out I will lose a screen protector too :(. does anyone else's iPhone 5 have this same annoying rattle and anybody notice it getting worse from the 4s?

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Ya the 5 rattles (it is the camera) but mine only does so if I shake it..

Better to be safe than sorry so if it were me I would go to the Apple store and have them check it out..

3. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Last time I went to Apple store and they said it was normal showing me like 5 other of their employee's phones and proving to me it was a normal issue. I didn't believe them so i got a new replacement and it had the same issue lol.

So does your iPhone rattle if you like set it down on carpet or on a table? Try dropping it like 4 inches to the ground on carpet and you will notice it.I just wanna see how many other people have this issue because i'm ocd about everything lol

4. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Well I just checked my friend's phone again to see if it would rattle and yes it does rattle :D. No idea why it didn't rattle like a day ago but now it does lol. Happy to know this is normal.

5. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

No rattle on mine or wifey's.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My iPhone 4 rattled. It worked fine, so I wasn't concerned about it. It still worked great a year and a half later when I upgraded and sold it. They have some moving parts; I wouldn't worry about exchanging it unless there is a functional problem.

7. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

My ip5 rattles but on mine it's also the power button on top if you hold the power button only lightly and shake phone It stops rattling on mine..

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

This always makes me think of this.

Guy goes to a doctor and says "doc it hurts when I do this" doctor looks at him and says "don't do that. "

When I tap on my phone when it is on a hard surface it makes this sound. Don't tap on your phone. Quit trying to make the noise.
    There is a thing called parts tolerance.
    Where is Hippo. He would agree with me.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

iPhone cameras have rattled since the 3GS. It's normal. Get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Not a big deal man....

11. TrueChili

TrueChili Member
    Bronze

I've never had an iPhone rattle. I've had four, one each between the 3GS and my 5. Although minor, it's still irritating.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Here is what I don't get. It only rattles when you do something to it that is not part of normal use. My 3GS rattled (power button) only when I shook it. I never shook it. You never need to.

I bet if you stuck a glass bottle in your garbage disposal it makes a hideous noise. I also bet that you don't keep doing it just to here it make said noise.
    IMO you can't complain about a noise that you have to make happen after abnormal use.

Btw sticking a glass bottle down your garbage disposal is a good way to sharpen it.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I beg to differ. I tap my iPhone all day. There's really no other way to do things with it. ;)

And shake to undo, while not an everyday occurrence, is a useful feature.

That said, no one ever claimed the iPhone was 100% solid state, and demanding an exchange when it's shown to you to be normal is kinda silly if you ask me.

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Well played sir, well played. :)

15. Stumpers

Stumpers New Member

Hey grannysmith I have the iPhone 5 as well and I just wanna say I'm having the exact same issue, my friend just recently got the iPhone 5 and you can barly hear his rattle. Keep me updated on your situAtion, I'm eager to find out how to resolve this annoying issue.

16. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

It's not just the camera or whatever they say its the sleep wake button and on some the volume buttons,try to lightly put your finger on the sleep wake button and then give it a shake,but to be honest how bad are you getting if your listening for rattles when putting your phone down.come on ...

from my iPhone5 with I-CAFE

17. Fuad hossain

Fuad hossain Guest

I have the same issue. If your OCD this might be annoying. But since I know this is normal I think I'll just ignore it now...