EyeTV ~ very cool for iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I just saw a very interesting post on another site. Apparently, EyeTV has released an update that will allow you to locally or remotely stream recorded TV content from your home Mac to your iPhone! You can also take recorded shows and load them on the phone. I was wondering how I could do that with my Dishnetwork receiver (which apparently there isn't an easy way), but now I may have to look into EyeTV. I'd love to have Curb, Weeds, Heroes, etc. on my iPhone for trips, commute, etc.

Check it out:
http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=shop_onlineshop

p.s. No affiliation with the company so don't flame me. Just thought others would be equally impressed and interested by this.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
which dishnetwork receiver do you have?

I have a DVR508 and I pull programs off my DVR harddrive into my computer at about 5 mins of copy time per hour of content. It is already in MPeg2 format on the DVR. I remove the commercials with a GREAT program called VideoReDo ($50 after free trial) then export to MPEG4.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007

I have a DVR508 and I pull programs off my DVR harddrive into my computer at about 5 mins of copy time per hour of content. It is already in MPeg2 format on the DVR. I remove the commercials with a GREAT program called VideoReDo ($50 after free trial) then export to MPEG4.
I have the VIP622. Is your receiver a newer or older model? I think the new receivers are set up to work with PocketDish by Archos so I assumed they must have encrypted the data somehow to only work with that player (plus I couldn't find anything on the web about using recordings on the iPhone).

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
You can use the same process I do - VERY quick and easy!

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip

Do searching and files research on your own BEFORE you ask the group for help.

They are a bit feisty about having to re-tell the same story over and over when the information is there already to those who search and do research.

Also search in http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/PVRExplorer. Same caveat. That is the group regarding the program used to pull programs off the vip622

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
You can use the same process I do - VERY quick and easy!

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip

Do searching and files research on your own BEFORE you ask the group for help.

They are a bit feisty about having to re-tell the same story over and over when the information is there already to those who search and do research.

Also search in http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/PVRExplorer. Same caveat. That is the group regarding the program used to pull programs off the vip622
I sincerely thank you for your help and the links. However, I take issue with your scolding me for not searching "BEFORE asking the group for help." I am always careful to try to search this forum before posting. Second, my original post did not ask for any help with anything but merely pointed out what I thought was a potentially cool product for use with the iPhone -- a service to all. You responded by asking me a question and providing some general information about a process you use that makes EyeTV unecessary. Fair enough. Then I responded back by answering your question and explaining how I understood things to be -- I may very well be wrong but I still didn't ask for any advice. I suppose it could be implied in my second post in your defense. However, have we now taken the "search first" mantra to the level that a poster must search other forums and the entire internet before posting here? I'm sorry if I'm seeming ungrateful -- I do appreciate your advice and the time to offer up the links. I just don't see why under the circumstances it had to be accompanied by the chastising remark. Now, if you were forewarning me to search before I ask any questions in the other group, then I take my entire tirade back and in the words of Emily Latella, say "nevermind" and thank you for the advice and the warning.

darrston

Jun 27, 2007
Dude I think you misread what he wrote. Believe he meant go to that group area and snoop around before asking questions cause they are cranky over there. Not here in this forum but the Yahoo one he mentioned

I sincerely thank you for your help and the links. However, I take issue with your scolding me for not searching "BEFORE asking the group for help." I am always careful to try to search this forum before posting. Second, my original post did not ask for any help with anything but merely pointed out what I thought was a potentially cool product for use with the iPhone -- a service to all. You responded by asking me a question and providing some general information about a process you use that makes EyeTV unecessary. Fair enough. Then I responded back by answering your question and explaining how I understood things to be -- I may very well be wrong but I still didn't ask for any advice. I suppose it could be implied in my second post in your defense. However, have we now taken the "search first" mantra to the level that a poster must search other forums and the entire internet before posting here? I'm sorry if I'm seeming ungrateful -- I do appreciate your advice and the time to offer up the links. I just don't see why under the circumstances it had to be accompanied by the chastising remark. Now, if you were forewarning me to search before I ask any questions in the other group, then I take my entire tirade back and in the words of Emily Latella, say "nevermind" and thank you for the advice and the warning.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I hate how everyone says "search first"... sometime you DO search and you don't find the similar posts... people should just chill out!

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007

so how would I go about taking things off of a DVR that my cable company uses (Mediacom)? Is there a special program I need to use? It has a USB port, but I have never attempted to get the shows I record off of it. I have a macbook pro 17" if that makes a difference.