Face ID May Not Have Failed at the Keynote

Discussion in 'iPhone X' started by Europa, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was just watching the Keynote again and realized Face ID may not have failed that first time.

It could have been one of two other things:
    The message said, "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID." This is the message you get when you have gone more than 48 hours without using Touch ID/Face ID or when a known bug/random event occurs that disables Touch ID until the passcode is entered. I've had that message come up lots of times when I have used Touch ID recently.

You get 6 wrong attempts with Touch ID before it makes you input the passcode. No way he scanned 6 times (unless it's insanely fast). It looks like he did it once or twice and swiped up a couple times.

Either way, it worked flawlessly on the other iPhone X. Perception and first impressions are all that matters, though. If people perceive it to have failed in the Keynote, they are going to worry about it.

IMG_2061.JPG

2. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Great catch Europa. That hiccup does not sway me one iota regarding the X. After all, X marks the spot!

3. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I'm in for the X... I missed most the keynote. But I will watch it over the weekend. I'm just debating size now.

4. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Go big or go home...you may not need all 256 at first but once you hit 64.1GB you will be sorry you didn't plop down the moolah for the bigger size. My 6+ has been at 60GB for awhile now so I am definitely going with 256GB.

5. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I keep thinking my iPhone 7 is 128... I'm at 61 now. I don't know if I can get by with 64 Gigs. So you are right. I probably need to go 256.

6. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Apple released a memo saying it was multiple failed face ID due to other Apple employees handling the phone setting up for the event. So like you said just like Touch ID you need to enter your passcode. Easy explanation but what horrible timing. But there might be some shenanigans going on. Wouldn't be the 1st time Apple was trying to deceive the public with products that may not be ready for the big game. The original iPhone event Steve had multiple devices that worked partially that he switched between throughout the keynote to show features. The signal bars were fake 5 bars no matter what, but the truth was there was no signal in the building at all. Jobs was wearing a portable cellular antenna to have enough signal to pull off the event.

Don't think this is the case with Face ID but thought I'd share a little known Apple story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro