Face ID Question

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you share a phone with your wife, can more than on Face ID be used in the phone?
Yes. Face ID will be just like Touch ID where more than one person can be authorized to use the phone.

Edit: It only allows one person, at least for now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks for the correction, Led. I naturally assumed it would just like with Touch ID. There might be a software update to enable multiple users at some point.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
How do you get to the passcode?

If the phone doesn't recognize the face does it go right to the passcode?

Thanks!
It's my understanding if it doesn't recognize the face, it just doesn't unlock. Craig Federighi said to disable Face ID, push or squeeze the buttons on both sides of the phone. That should bring up the passcode screen.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
How do you get to the passcode?

If the phone doesn't recognize the face does it go right to the passcode?

Thanks!
Yes, it prompts you for a passcode if it fails 5 times to recognize your face, or if you haven't unlocked your phone after a certain amount of time. Like 48 hours , I think.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I think everybody has private information on their phones. But mine is either in my hand or my pocket or the console of my car. I don't see how anybody could get any information out of my phone, even unlocked.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
I think everybody has private information on their phones. But mine is either in my hand or my pocket or the console of my car. I don't see how anybody could get any information out of my phone, even unlocked.
They can rob you.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
You can forget your phone somewhere too.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
With all due respect, that still doesn't answer my question…
Wouldn't "They" be thieves? Let's say your phone is in your car console, you park in a Walmart parking lot, get out and go inside. Then immediately realize you don't have your phone. You go back to your car to see a busted out window and your phone is gone.
Or, you stop in a convenience store, set your phone down to make change, pay for your purchase and leave. You then realize you left your phone on the counter. You go back and it's gone. The clerk has no clue. Anything can happen. And it does every day to people who say what you said.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wouldn't "They" be thieves? Let's say your phone is in your car console, you park in a Walmart parking lot, get out and go inside. Then immediately realize you don't have your phone. You go back to your car to see a busted out window and your phone is gone.
Or, you stop in a convenience store, set your phone down to make change, pay for your purchase and leave. You then realize you left your phone on the counter. You go back and it's gone. The clerk has no clue. Anything can happen. And it does every day to people who say what you said.
I admire your tenacity.