Facebook 3.0

Boombotz

May 16, 2009
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Please be aware that I just installed Facebooks update and my iPhone will not turn on. The phone itself will show the white Apple and then turn back off. Use caution when you install this app... Also iTunes will not recognize the phone to reformat it to when I first bought it. If anyone has any info to help me out Id appreciate it a lot. I don't understand I am in Illinois and its thursday night and I check for availibility for the genius bar and they are not availible til Saturday, what crappy businesss is APPLE running. You can walk into anyother company and get "help" NO NOT APPLE...

Anyone Please help! :041:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That depends on what city you live in. I called once at 8 pm and booked a midnight appointment at the genius bar at an Apple Store in Vegas. I ended up canceling the appointment because I fixed it myself after making the appointment, but I'm just saying...

I think this was just a random crash and facebook should not be blamed. Many of us here have installed facebook today with no problems.

Now to fix this problem, you will likely need to restore it. Since iTunes isn't recognizing it and it won't go into recovery mode, you'll need to put it in DFU mode. Once in DFU mode, iTunes will recognize it and you'll want to hit the restore button. As long as your phone is not jailbroken, you can restore from back up and your phone will be set up exactly like it was at the time of the last back up.

Here's a video that will show you how to go into DFU mode. Just skip the first step, which is to turn off the phone, if you are in a continuous crash loop (constantly rebooting).

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I just updated the APP on my iPhone without any issues. I think your problem is merely coincidental. I can't imagine and APP creating a situation where it bricks your phone.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've never been able to manually put my iPhone into DFU mode no matter what YouTube video I watch. I guess I'm just dense because it never works.

Facebook installed fine on my iPhone but I updated from the device, not on my desktop.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
This same problem happened with my wife's V1. The app installed fine on my 3G. Had to put my wife's V1 into DFU and restore... Bummer.

Boombotz

May 16, 2009
Thanks a lot guys you guys or girls have helped a lot. I cant thank you enough!