Facebook App - FindMe

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Saw this at ModMyiFone, and it is very cool. Created by Dan Vu Quoc.

danvuquoc said:
I got the idea when messing around with the string output and forwarding it to a different page, and I have a little experience with Facebook apps. I thought how 'cool' and 'creepy' it would be for people to know where I was all the time. Anyways, it's not much right now, but it has some neat settings like privacy, update intervals, and accuracy (joining coordinates together).

You have to add the application first on Facebook, then you get a Repository URL, which dynamically generates your REPO and install scripts. The zip package file is also dynamically generated as well based on Facebook account information. It pretty much requires no setup.

I haven't had anyone really test it yet, try it out and tell me what you think. I plan on adding location "tagging" sometime tomorrow when I get off of work. I know it has bugs, like not updating when going into deep sleep hopefully I'll find a workaround for that.

http://apps.facebook.com/iPhonelocator
Description from Facebook:
This application is an attempt at social mobile tracking with the iPhone on Facebook. In the future I hope to have iPhoneLocator track movement on trips, let users "tag" recent locations and remember them, automatically update profile page items, find nearby friends, and find nearby users.
And this little tidbit of info:
danvuquoc said:
That's the problem guys, this actually uses SkyHook, and that uses Wifi! I'm going to implement a Google version soon that uses the cell tower version [when I get off work]. It's less accurate, but it works better for some people with problems, I'll let you know when it's out.
I found it to be scarily accurate! It places a small map on the left side of your profile, if you tell it to, and when clicked shows a big map, pinpointing your location. It automatically updates every 15 minutes, by default. You can change that, in the Facebook settings. This is very easy, but it took a little over an hour for me to see it on Facebook.

Let me know how it works for you guys! Much thanks to Dan for a great app!