Facebook app is dead silent.

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Booyow1204, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I have been having a problem w/the Facebook app (since I updated to IOS 6 it seems). I was wondering if anybody has had any issues receiving audible alerts for Facebook?

Or maybe I have some settings messed up. Whenever I get a comment/message/reply to status update or pretty much any alert from Facebook my phone doesn't chime at all, Its pretty much dead silent w/the only visual cue being the screen lighting up w/the Facebook update.

It gets really annoying cause I'll look eventually and see 5-6 updates that I haven't had a chance to clear off when they arrive like I normally do.

Does anyone know how to reset it so I can hear alerts?. I've checked all settings that I can think of, maybe I'm missing something somewhere

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I think it was the latest update to the FB app itself. I'm still on 5.1.1 and have the same notification sound problems.

3. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Oh really, I couldn't remember if I had the same prob on 5.1.1

Maybe I'm just noticing it now because I'm getting a lot of posts today lol. I think you would be right because I've checked everywhere to make sure I set the alerts correctly.

4. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

I was going to note that i have an iPhone 5, and am having facebook notification problems also. Just the banner no sound. The thing i notice is any app i have tied to facebook does the same. Such as instagram, foursquare etc. Basically all of the social apps which may tie in somehow with facebook have no sound also. So i am not sure what to make of it.

5. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

I had the same issue with the facebook app on my iPhone 4 for the last few weeks and now I'm having it on my 5. I've tried to change settings and everything, nothing brings the sound back.

6. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Same here. I get the notification but no sound. I've traced it back to the app update.

7. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

But that doesn't explain how so many of us are having trouble with other social apps that require facebook? For example if i try to share my foursquare or instagram to facebook and enable facebook in those apps. I get no notification sounds. If i don't enable facebook in those apps, i get sound. I know of a lot of ppl who are all saying the same thing. That their social apps act funny when they enable facebook. So somehow it isn't just facebook now.

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hmm. You maybe right. I get no sound notify from FB, IG or Foursquare.

9. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I think it may be the new IOS, like my last reply I cant remember having any issues till I updated to IOS 6, since the software now introduced facebook integration maybe there's a bug somewhere?

10. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Not true. I had the issue on my iPhone 4 which wasn't on iOS 6.

11. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Yes this app and several of my news apps stopped making sounds. But I don't think this an iOS 6 problem probably just a regular app bug.

12. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

By any chance was anyone jailbroken and returned their phone to stock? I had this happen to me. I was jailbroken on ios 5 using an iPhone 4s. I returned it back to stock ios 5 to sell the phone. Immediately i noticed my facebook notifications stopped working when i went back to stock os. I upgraded the phone to ios 6 still the same problem. I went with an iPhone 5 still the same problem. Ppl on other forums who are still running ios 5 on iPhones 4 and 4s are reporting they can jailbreak their phones, tweak the notifications. Go back to stock ios 5 or ios 6 after they do this. And have their notifications working correctly again. I was wondering if anyone is running ios 5 and can jailbreak and tweak, and go back to stock. And report if they are getting their facebook notifications to work after? Because obviously i cant try it on my phone, since you cant jailbreak an iPhone 5 yet.

13. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

The only thing and i said it before is now other social apps are effected. For ex, instagram, and foursquare does not have sound either. But like i said before, any social apps with a facebook login in it, seems to go silent on notifications. The odd thing is games that require you to login into facebook are ok. But social apps like instagram, foursquare and others go silent when using facebook along with it. So it is a strange bug that only effect certain apps.

#13 Napoleon Lopez, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  14. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I too have this problem and I think it's the Facebook app. Tying your other apps through Facebook could have affected them somehow.

15. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

I don't think so. Like i said before, now instagram, facebook, sometimes twitter, foursquare and chase are not making a sound. And sometimes my text msgs don't make sound. It almost seems like it is spreading throughout my phone like a virus or bug.

16. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah but I thought someone said they noticed it on the last firmware.

17. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

Whatever it is. It is annoying. It started for me when i broke my jailbreak to try out ios 6. And now ever day it seems like a new app does not make any sound now for notifications.

18. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

For me, this started a few weeks before I got the 5. I had a 4 and noticed I wouldn't get any FB notifications. Thinking its a problem on FaceBook's end.

19. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

It cant be a facebook problem though if it affects other apps. I was fooling with this girls new iPhone and she has Verizon and i have AT&T. And she has the same problem where her facebook as well as instagram and other apps only do the banner thing with no sound on all her apps. She said she went to Verizon and the Apple store and they told her it was some kind of bug that only affected certain users, with certain apps. And that they had no idea when it would be fixed.

20. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

You just confirmed it was the apps lol