Facebook app is dead silent.

Napoleon Lopez

Bronze
Jun 8, 2011
Slidell, Louisiana
You just confirmed it was the apps lol
Well it seems like it is strange. How can a number of apps just go silent all of the sudden? My friend has been talking to Apple support who claim those apps need to come out with updates to enable the sound again. And when she speaks with Verizon, or contacts the developer of the apps in question. They respond by saying it is an Apple issue, and Apple will release an update to fix the issue. So essentially Apple is saying the devs will fix it. The devs are saying no its Apple wait till they fix it. So neither Apple nor the app developers want to take blame for anything, instead they blame each other.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Well Verizon won't get you anywhere with anything. They are useless. And I would trust Apple over the devs. Since it is their operating system. Probably was a problem caused by iOS but that will be fixed with an app update. So they are probably both right.

Napoleon Lopez

Bronze
Jun 8, 2011
Slidell, Louisiana
My affected apps are Instagram, Facebook, Foursquare and Path.
Same here, though i would add instagram to that. Interesting is that it only is social apps. In other words other stuff like words with friends that uses a facebook login works fine. And anything else that asks for me to login to twitter or facebook that is not a social app works fine. But if it is a social app, the sound does not go through. So it is confined to any social apps ppl use.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
For me, it started when the new Facebook update came out when i was still on my 4. I even upgraded to iOS 6 hoping it would fix the issue, but it didn't.Right now the only Facebook notification that comes through audibly is a PM. I have a few games that are linked through my Facebook account and they all work fine. I'm really surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah I've been having trouble with lots of third party apps not making any sounds and the Apple store has had no explanation other than saying it's something they have never seen and doing a restore and being given a new device hasn't fixed it. So I have no idea whether it is the apps or iOS but it has been happening to me since iOS 5 with the Apple store genius saying that instagram has never made noise which I knew that it should be making sound but hasn't been for some reason. My affected apps are abc news for iPad, cnn for iPhone and iPad, facebook, and instagram. It's very frustrating because the sound cue is how I know when news breaks or something funny has been posted on facebook.

Napoleon Lopez

Bronze
Jun 8, 2011
Slidell, Louisiana
Hmmm.... Some ppl are saying it is the app. Others claim its the account. I actually had some extra time, so i made up a dummy account and logined to my phone with the dummy account. Sent my self a test msg (actually reply to a post). And sure enough i get my sound and banner coming through each time. I used the dummy account to login to foursquare and instagram. Low and behold i get sound on both. I log out of the dummy account. Log back into my normal facebook account. No sound, just banner.

Napoleon Lopez

Bronze
Jun 8, 2011
Slidell, Louisiana
Also. And it just may be a coincidence. I do remember that this started also happening when i went to IOS 6, but i changed my facebook profile to private. I noticed my friends phones who have their facebook set to private are having problems. While the dummy account, and my friends who had their facebook account as a public profile with no privacy settings have no issues. Which i thought was interesting. But that may just have been me and my friends, and not a trend.

jesseburger

Jul 16, 2012
never turned on sound alert, so no idea there, but wouldn't be surprised there's problems since i have been having lots of problems with the fb app recently on ios6... such as loading and connection problems

S

scrappydez

I have been having a problem w/the Facebook app (since I updated to IOS 6 it seems). I was wondering if anybody has had any issues receiving audible alerts for Facebook?

Or maybe I have some settings messed up. Whenever I get a comment/message/reply to status update or pretty much any alert from Facebook my phone doesn't chime at all, Its pretty much dead silent w/the only visual cue being the screen lighting up w/the Facebook update.

It gets really annoying cause I'll look eventually and see 5-6 updates that I haven't had a chance to clear off when they arrive like I normally do.

Does anyone know how to reset it so I can hear alerts?. I've checked all settings that I can think of, maybe I'm missing something somewhere
Let me tell you how I sorted this problem, it's only a viable option if you get free messages on your phone.
If you go to facebook settings you can register your phone for text alerts.

One you have done this you will get a text message from FB which is free alerting you to the post or anything connected with your account.
You can then reply via the text message or a new email address that FB gives you. You can also do status updates by sending a message to 32665. You'll receive messages from this number 22660012.
Then go into you iPhone settings>notifications and turn off alerts, notifications, app icon etc for Facebook, but leave sounds on in case they fix it.

Its not an ideal solution but it seems to work so far. Pass it round if it works for you.
I'm posting this on 1 more site then I'll leave it to other people to do.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Let me tell you how I sorted this problem, it's only a viable option if you get free messages on your phone.
If you go to facebook settings you can register your phone for text alerts.

One you have done this you will get a text message from FB which is free alerting you to the post or anything connected with your account.
You can then reply via the text message or a new email address that FB gives you. You can also do status updates by sending a message to 32665. You'll receive messages from this number 22660012.
Then go into you iPhone settings>notifications and turn off alerts, notifications, app icon etc for Facebook, but leave sounds on in case they fix it.

Its not an ideal solution but it seems to work so far. Pass it round if it works for you.
I'm posting this on 1 more site then I'll leave it to other people to do.
This is a great alternative to the FB Notifications on iOS, since those never make a sound. Plus, you have additional functionality simply by replying to the texts.

Zandra227

Mar 2, 2013
I don't get any sounds for the same apps either, but I will have the sounds when I post things onto Facebook, like photos. It's really weird. I just got my iPhone 5, so I have no idea what's going on. It's annoying...

mango44

Bronze
Oct 29, 2012
I don't get any sounds for the same apps either, but I will have the sounds when I post things onto Facebook, like photos. It's really weird. I just got my iPhone 5, so I have no idea what's going on. It's annoying...
Yeah same here. Annoying at first, but I got use to it.