Facebook Home on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris, Apr 4, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not happening. :D

I do like some of the features announced today. For example, having a picture of the person next to a notification seems like a nice level of personalization, rather than the app icon. That being said, how would you distinguish between an Instagram, Facebook or Twitter update. The icon represents information about content. Are people are apps more important?

#1 chris, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

Thank God

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Some nifty borrowing done here. Subtle copying of the iPhone.

fbclock.jpg

4. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

After reading more and watching videos of this in action, this looks like too much overload, I can see certain age groups and select types of people going ape crazy over this though.

The real question is, does it do FarmVille ?

5. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

I hope this explains the crappy updates in the iOS and Android app's recently. The Android app seems especially poor.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I wonder if this will be a fad phone, one that will fade away. They'll see a ton of downloads on April 12th, but how many keep it on their phone. Plus, how stable is this going to be when it takes over the phone.

Some interesting notes, did you see the demo of moving apps around in their App Launcher. The movement is distinctly iOS and doesn't even resemble Android. The use of Helvetica, as noted above, also a small nod to iOS. I think those are subtleties that do help sell phones to consumers who don't live and breathe this stuff.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Not really, the apps don't jiggle. They're disappointingly motionless. Catatonic even.

I'm afraid I won't be getting this phone because of the lack of jiggle when moving apps around.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

When you move apps in Android, they are now free flowing. They sort of lock at positions.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Did you mean not free flowing? I'm looking at your context.

10. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I wouldn't want Facebook dominating my phone like that. I like it as it is, an unobtrusive app. I think it will appeal to those who are big users of Facebook. I do admit that the recent developments from the Android camp, with an OS that is dynamic, will force Apple to make major overhauls in their iOS. I think many people are starting to see the iOS as 'static and dated'.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'd rather have a root canal through my butt than go anywhere near Facebook Home.

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

With FB's security settings this phone will probably display your social security and bank account numbers in your profile. Not to mention the non-stop app suggestions and post suggestions for ads. Sounds like a good time for everyone, but the user.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's a commercial for FB Home.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

In the commercial, the flight attendant needs to say, "Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to toss that piece of crap out the starboard exit door when we get to cruising altitude. Oh yeah - don't ever fly my airline again, you no-bath-taking, gutter-crawling, no-job-having sorry excuse for a human being."

16. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I wonder why they used drag queens and a dirty-looking dude with those pedophile glasses? Some sort of hidden message?

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I guess I'm on the waiting list for chat heads. Odd that it's a staggered roll-out.

18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It's got it's advantages, if your having multiple convos going. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1366166350.319865.jpg

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Did they always sit up top or can you move them around?

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You can move them around. But I only tried it with a single person. I'll see if I can get a few people tomorrow and move them around to be sure.