Facebook Mentions

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by silvermoon, Jul 18, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I don't pay too much attention to the posts on the home page but one caught my attention this evening. It is this new app called Facebook Mentions. First, why do celebrities, actors, and public figures need to have their own app? Second, any app that is released on the app store should be available to the public, IMO, even if it is a paid or free app. Third, Mariah Carey is the only one to have the app on her phone. Why just her? I'm sure there are several public figures that are more prominent than Mariah Carey.

Thoughts?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No thoughts. I don't care if celebrities have their own Facebook or not. It's still Facebook.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I don't care about them having their own Facebook. I just don't think they need to have their own app for it.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, to have their own Facebook, doesn't it follow that they'd need their own app? What does it matter?

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I can see how that would follow. It doesn't matter really, only in that I think anything released on the App Store should be available to everyone unless they have a special link to download their own Facebook app.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not a verified public figure, so I'm not concerned about it.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If you don't like how Facebook operates, you can always do this. And remember, Facebook is a privately owned business concern. They can do as they please, within the constraints of the law. It's really sort of odd how some have come to view Facebook as a public utility. I don't like the Facebook company. I don't like what they have become. I despise how they treat the Pages and make seeing those Pages difficult. One just about has to spam their friends in order to see the Pages's posts. I would do this myself, but I do like keeping up with my kids and grandkids. Otherwise, I would nuke them too.