Facebook notification

djkeev

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Good Morning!

I would like to turn off the notifications that arrive on my 3G whenever someone posts something to my facebook.

I am seeking help from those who are smarter than I am, I searched through the topics but failed to find the answer I need, if there even is one!

Can this be done?
and if so.....
How do I do it?
also......
Am I right in thinking that these posting notifications are counted as a text message by AT&T thus contributing to my greatly increased number of text messages since I got the phone resulting at times in extra text charges billed to my account?

Thanks all for any help you can provide!
DJK

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good Morning!

I would like to turn off the notifications that arrive on my 3G whenever someone posts something to my facebook.

I am seeking help from those who are smarter than I am, I searched through the topics but failed to find the answer I need, if there even is one!

Can this be done?
and if so.....
How do I do it?
also......
Am I right in thinking that these posting notifications are counted as a text message by AT&T thus contributing to my greatly increased number of text messages since I got the phone resulting at times in extra text charges billed to my account?

Thanks all for any help you can provide!
DJK
Sorry to say so - but NO. You can't turn on/off notifications on your facebook app. You'll have to logout off your facebook account to stoping this..

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
If your receiving text messaages it probably tied to your facebook account. Check online and remove it from mobile devices. The facebook app itself doesn't send messages and doesn't need facebook mobile.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
If your receiving text messaages it probably tied to your facebook account. Check online and remove it from mobile devices. The facebook app itself doesn't send messages and doesn't need facebook mobile.
my facebook app does the complete opposite. It doesn't tell me when I receive a new notification. The only way I can check is to open up Facebook and let it refresh

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
If you log out every time you finish using your FB app, you'll have to log in every time and then what's the sense of having a FB app in the first place?
That's not the point - he just want to turn off these notification pop ups on the Springboard, - I think the only way to do this is facebook logout..!?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
once a month facebook sent me a txt MSG. It stated that I had not used fb msging in a month and asked me to reply yes to continue or no to discontinue the MSG alerts. Eventually I just replyed nobecause ididnt find the allerts usefull anymore and theystoped. U should no mater what be able to turn off the notifications on the oficial website via a pc. There is an entire section of email and MSG notifications.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Btw. I never log out of my fb app.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
You're saying "text"...do you mean SMS text?...I have never heard facebook sending SMS out!? They are sending lots of E-mail notifications when someone send you a post etc. These kinds of notifications can be turn off in the facebook setting - via your desktop computer, but not directly on the iPhone facebook app!

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
I get SMS texts from Facebook but I set up my account that way using the Facebook Mobile App from the Facebook site on my PC.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I get SMS texts from Facebook but I set up my account that way using the Facebook Mobile App from the Facebook site on my PC.
Oh - that's right! I'm living in Denmark/Europe - it's only US/Canada/UK facebook are sending these SMS to!....that option should be easy to turn on/off at your facebook settings - using an desktop computer!

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Okay - that's strange...to me :eek:
this MAY happen due to the fact that I always take my sim out when using facebook. This way I don't get charge eg. download fees and it doesn't matter how long I spend on the web

Taking my sim may not affect the notifications?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I never log out of facebook and I have never gotten any sort of notification either.

The only way I know if someone posted or visited my facebook is to go into the facebook app, as well.

I've never heard of facebook sending notifications.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
that doesn't show notifications on the home page those just send you texts etc

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
There is no reason to log out. That defeats the whole purpose of the app. I have never received an sms from Facebook, but always receive an email when there is something new posted. That is the whole point knowing when there has been a new post.