Facebook Password Requested During an Interview

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Seriously, what is this world coming to?

Based on this story, among others online, would you give your Facebook, and Twitter credentials for that matter, to someone during an interview?

What could a company achieve by viewing my Facebook and Twitter info?

I don't even use Facebook, but...

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I would not volunteer my account credentials. While I have nothing to hide, my social life, (Facebook is a social network after all) is my businesss. The very fact that an employer would ask for that would turn me away from the company alone. A company that devalues their potential employees enough to explicitly infringe on their freedom of privacy Leads me to believe they treat their actual employees even worse.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There have been reports of potential employers screening job applicants based on what they find on their social networking timelines for years now. They are mainly looking for things like drug use and insubordination, but there is a big difference between following someone's public timeline and asking for their login credentials. Requesting full access to the accounts is an invasion of privacy.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I don't ask, I'm not that big in the businesss world, but when I hire someone I always look into their Facebook or twitter from time to time, and I've fired couple people from straight lying to me telling me they were going to the doctors or needed to help a family member with something instead they were at the beach or too drunk to come to work.
I don't know if that's the same thing thou.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I don't ask, I'm not that big in the businesss world, but when I hire someone I always look into their Facebook or twitter from time to time, and I've fired couple people from straight lying to me telling me they were going to the doctors or needed to help a family member with something instead they were at the beach or too drunk to come to work.
That is much, much different. My thought is this, if someone's Facebook Page is not private, and they are applying for jobs, their expectations should be that the potential employer will be looking. If there is suspicion of a poor work ethic, as you mentioned, it is the managers job to investigate as you did. That vs asking for account credentials are two very different ideas.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, that's fine. It's not the same thing at all. What they did is stupid, disrespectful, and rubbing it in your face - they deserved it, IMO. Calling in sick and then going to the beach is actually a perfect example of one of one of the things potential employers would screen for.

What recently happened is quite differnt. There's a world of difference between looking at someone's public facebook timeline and actually having having full-access to their account. Looking at their timeline is like talking to them. Asking for their login password is like getting into their mind. It's invading their privacy and it's creepy.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
We just had someone at work call in sick and later that morning his wife posts on her FB page showing the birthday cake that her wonderful hubby just dropped off. To which I replied asking how he was feeling? Her reply was, ' he looked OK to me' Why?
Lol. Her next post was simply, 'oh crap'.
THINK people, think.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
No, that's fine. It's not the same thing at all. What they did is stupid, disrespectful, and rubbing it in your face - they deserved it, IMO. Calling in sick and then going to the beach is actually a perfect example of one of one of the things potential employers would screen for.

What recently happened is quite differnt. There's a world of difference between looking at someone's public facebook timeline and actually having having full-access to their account. Looking at their timeline is like talking to them. Asking for their login password is like getting into their mind. It's invading their privacy and it's creepy.
tell you what thou, it makes me feel all cool when I find out they were lying to me. Nobody messes around with bennyboy, no one :D

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
tell you what thou, it makes me feel all cool when I find out they were lying to me. Nobody messes around with bennyboy, no one :D
You must mean employees as I've seen many MANY posts in here that recant your last post.
Of course I'm just messin with ya. Ooh I got away with it! Lmao

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You must mean employees as I've seen many MANY posts in here that recant your last post.
Of course I'm just messin with ya. Ooh I got away with it! Lmao
should've said benny lol

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
And don't friend any colleagues. ;)
I've agreed with you on everything in this thread, except this. Here is the thing - forming trusting relationships and friendships with people you work with is so important. You spend a lot of time in their company. Simply not adding them as a friend when they request you can cause more damage than good.

I actually initially went through this after being at my job a year or so. My colleague asked why I had not accepted his friend request. I was privately exercising your this idea - don't accept friend requests from co-workers. You can imagine how awkward that conversation was. I figured out a better solution was to friend them, but just change my privacy settings to not include them to a post by default, don't let them see things other people tag me in, etc. Manage the privacy settings closely. That lasted all of a couple days before he (and later others) began asking, why they could not post on my wall/why they could not comment on a picture, etc.

So now, while I still only allow those co-workers who I am closest with and trust to a high degree, I allow them same access as a normal Friend gets. Also, I don't BS on Facebook. If I am sick, I am sick. If I don't want to come in, I come in because I'm a responsible adult...Other activities I enjoy and post on Facebook are nothing more than normal people my age do. There is nothing I do which I would expect an employer to look negatively upon. If they do, they aren't the right company for me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Michael, that was a joke, hence the wink. I was just saying if you are going to do all the things Bitewound said (her post was a joke also), you might as well go all the way and not add any colleagues. I have lots of colleges and my manager on my Facebook friends list.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Michael, that was a joke, hence the wink. I was just saying if you are going to do all the things Bitewound said (her post was a joke also), you might as well go all the way and not add any colleagues. I have lots of colleges and my manager on my Facebook friends list.
Ah - I think I have a tough time getting the subtle hints. Lost in translation. I once again agree with everything you have said in the thread! ;)

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Actually my post wasn't a joke. I have 2 FB pages - both under aliases, private and unsearchable. I have one for most of my family and one for friends. The reason i have them separate is because my little nieces don't need to know how much fun Aunt Bitey really has;) . I do have some adult family on the Fun page. The main reason i use aliases is because i was teaching for several years and i can't tell you how many students wanted to friend me, find out where i hang go and come hang out with me after hours and that was totally unacceptable. It just seemed easier to do FB that way.
I also knew employers were looking at peoples FB pages and my private life is my businesss.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
(I haven't been receiving the emails to this thread, not happy...)

Anyway, moving on...

I have to say, if my boss has to check my Facebook or Twitter to see if I really went to the doctor or wherever, then clearly he\she already doesn't trust me. So, I guess the real question is, should he\she keep me anyway?

I think social is social, and hence it should stay that way.

*walks away to protect his twitter account* ;)

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
(I haven't been receiving the emails to this thread, not happy...)

Anyway, moving on...

I have to say, if my boss has to check my Facebook or Twitter to see if I really went to the doctor or wherever, then clearly he\she already doesn't trust me. So, I guess the real question is, should he\she keep me anyway?

I think social is social, and hence it should stay that way.

*walks away to protect his twitter account* ;)
Agreed. However, remember trust is something that needs to be built. You have to prove yourself and inspire trust in your manager. If you succeed, he/she should not feel the need to check your facebook page if you call out sick. If he/she is doing so, either you have not gained his or her trust, or he or she needs to learn better management skills.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Why the heck would I want to give out my Facebook or Twitter credentials? Even if that's the last job on the planet, I'm not taking it. That's a very rude treatment and clearly an invasion of privacy. I know it might be different to some people, including myself since, well, I have absolutely nothing to hide on Twitter or Facebook, but it's like giving your employer the key to your house. It's the same concept to me.