Facetime losing connection

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by bkford, Nov 23, 2014.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

My daughter and I have been having facetime conversations on each of our iPad Air devices with no problems until a couple of weeks ago. Now, every time we connect, hers immediately says "poor connection" and that the video will resume when the connection is better; it never resumes. Audio is good, but no picture on her end (I can see her on my end, she can see herself but not me on hers. We have both updated, restarted, and cleared open apps. Any thoughts?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How's her Internet connection (speed and strength)? Have her do a speed test with this app:
    Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test by Ookla
    https://appsto.re/us/prg7r.i

3. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I'll suggest that to her. On mine, this is the result: download 2.73, upload 0.35, ping 68 ms. Have no idea if that is bad or good.

4. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

But is the problem probably on her end because she is the one who cannot see video?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's WiFi, right? The internet connection on your phone could be the problem. She's sending out good video to you, but you aren't to her. Your speed is a little slow for streaming video. What speed are you paying for? You're getting 2.73 Mbps, so if you are paying for faster than 3 you'll need to contact your internet service provider and tell them you're speeds are slower than what you're paying for. You might want to consider increasing it to 7 Mbps if you can. It will stream a lot better at that speed.

6. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Yes, it's wifi, but the only option for us is DSL, and believe it or not, they recently improved it. So, the problem could be on my end? But, we facetime with our son and rarely have a problem...

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hard to say for sure, but the video you send out to the other person out will look pixelated, pause or cut out all together if your speed is too low or the connection is bad. If it's still working fine for you with other people, then it's probably on her end. Have her do a speed test and then post the results here.