FaceTime over Celluar on AT&T

1. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member Bronze

Looks like you need a shared Data plan to use it. So if I want to use it I need to dump my unlimited plan and go to 20gig shared plan for $40 more a month. AT&T you stink! No changing here...

2. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Zealot Gold

Seriously? I'm not about to give up my unlimited data plan. It is not like I even use Facetime. I couldn't tell you the last time I used it...

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist Gold

If you insist on doing Facetime with WiFi, and don't have the Shared Data Plan, consider Tango. Great alternative. Or, if jailbroken, just use 3G unrestrictor.

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot Gold

3G unrestrictor isn't needed anymore & couldn't be used anyway if you upgraded to iOS 6. I'm sure there will be some sort of jailbreak app or tweak when the jailbreak is available whenever that could be.

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius Gold

I prefer Tango over Facetime since it's cross platform and I can video chat with friends who have Android phones with front facing cameras. No need for Wi-Fi. It also allows the user to leave video messages if they don't answer.

7. Fringe

Fringe New Member

ZR_Yancy, totally agree. Tango is better than Facetime. Sticking with my unlimited data plan. Pretty poor persuasion plan AT&T, no thanks.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius Gold

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  9. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

Still won't work on unlimited, though. It will work on tiered data plans, and there is no reason for it not to. I can't see any reason, other than greed, to not let people use their 2 or 4 gigabytes of data they are paying for however they want.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius Gold

Looks like I'll be waiting for the jailbreak. I won't give up my unlimited plan, and I would like to use FaceTime over data.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius Platinum

Did someone say jailbreak? Oh, nevermind.

12. Europa

Still gonna be a while, I think. There is absolute zero jailbreak buzz from the devs on Twitter right now. :unsure:

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

The devs are sitting on it, don't you know? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius Platinum

Nothing at all? I was reading not to upgrade to 6.0.1 but too late for me, I already did.

15. Europa

I updated as soon as it was available. I figured the odds of them realasing a 6.0-only jailbreak weeks (likely) after 6.0.1 came out were slim to none, despite musclenerd recommending staying on 6.0. Now if they were close, I might have stayed put, but 6.0 was pretty buggy so I would have needed more concrete evidence that it was necessary. We'll see, but I'd be very surprised to see a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 that doesn't work on the latest firmware. The last one actually required the latest firmware.

16. fz1dave

fz1dave Member Bronze

I've read that Tango has problems with freezing up, and that they require you to upload your entire address book for it to work. Any truth to either of these?