Facial recognition and detection on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, Dec 3, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Interesting facial recognition patent application that was awarded to Apple. It's a three part system. The software will detect a face, go through a series of recognition tests to confirm the identity and then allow for control of the device. So will the next iPhone have Face ID? I wonder if this sort of thing would be used for other products that have yet to be announced?

#1 chris, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Interesting i hope a photo doesn't fool the system though...

#2 liberated, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Well, maybe that's part of the reason for the PrimeSense purchase. They built the 3D recognition on the Xbox Kinect on the 360. I can't imagine a picture would be able to bluff a system.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I see some guy shaving his beard off, then his gadget not recognizing him.

Sent using iCafe app

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Muckcityjustin

Gold

Hope not. I have a pretty big beard.

Sent using iCafe app

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You might want to stick with TouchID for now.;)

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

iPhoto already has Faces for tagging pictures so facial recognition isn't that big a leap.

Sent using iCafe app

8. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I had a Samsung Galaxy SII running OS 4.0. It had a feature to unlock the phone using facial recognition. I was able to fake it with a printed photo. That feature quickly got disabled from the phone.

-rb

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That's really nothing new unless Apple implement other perimeters that Samsung not used that is more secure. I have my GS4 set to unlock using facial and voice recognition. A photo can't be used to unlock because it requires the user to blink.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's a feature I'd never enable. Holding the phone directly in front of my face and blinking (when I could easily unlock it from any angle) is about as lame as holding up my wrist and talking to a watch when I could just use a Bluetooth headset.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#11 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

You don't have to hold it up right in front of your face. :LOL: Just as long as you're holding the phone in an angle that you normally would look at the screen. You can hold the phone down on your lap/knee and it will recognize you just as long as you have the display facing you. I'm not worried about security on the GS4 because my iP5s is my daily driver. The GS4 is just something I play with every once in a while.

13. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Iris/Retinal scan would probably be more secure and reliable than TouchID since we won't have to worry about our fingerprint changing due to dryness or dirt and oil buildup like an FP scanner because we constantly touch the home button. The camera doesn't get touched very much because it's not located on the screen. The only parts that would touch the camera area would be our ear or face but who talks on the phone anymore while holding it up to our ear? :p On the other hand, it wouldn't be too convenient because we would have to hold the phone really close to our eye for a successful scan. Imaging people attempting that while driving?:eek:

#13 ZR_Yancy, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Only every other idiot driver I see on the road.

I wonder how many poor souls will have their eyes yanked out in order to gain improper access to an S5?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have a feeling that it won't work the first time, every time. I see myself adjusting the angle and distance of the phone and blinking repeatedly. No thanks. My fingerprint scanner has a half-life and made me a skeptic of this type of technology. I'll stick with the passcode.

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My finger print scanner has been rock solid and stable for me, not all iPhones are affected by issues some people are reporting. I look forward to new tech, specially tech perfected by Apple who have a track record of bringing tech to the masses after a reasonable level of stability has been achieved. Sure I can use my legs by walking from point A to point B, after all walking has been a reliable way to travel over the past several thousand years but that doesn't mean that using a bicycle or a car is a bad idea, even if some malfunction once on a while :)

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Want to be one of the first jet pack beta testers? I'm sure you won't mind falling out of the sky for mankind's benefit. :D

BTW, I wasn't saying this technology should halt. I was just saying the fingerprint scanner is far from perfect for a lot of people, it is hindered by hand dryness, and early versions of the eye scanners probably have problems, too. Hell, the Samsung scanner could be tricked by a photo. It takes a while to perfect this stuff.

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'd gladly fall of the sky if it means the betterment of humanity :)

19. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

My daughters and I all were able to get through w facial recognition! The finger is much more practical and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk