factory unlocked Vs Jailbreaking unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by kp3gs, Feb 5, 2010.

1. kp3gs

kp3gs New Member

Hi yall,

as i am new to this community, this is my first post(thread). I have gone through this forum(almost) i am bout to buy a new iPhone 3gs. Now the only confusion is whether to buy an Factory Unlocked(offiically unlocked) or to get a contract iPhone3gs jailbreak n unlock it (blackr4in, ect)

Factory unlock - will get updates, hopefully no problem wid the phone apps n also the wifi
    Jailbroken - cant update till the custom firmware is launched which will delay the updation ma be too long n phone may start actin weird( wifi not responding, jail breakin again at startup) but it does allows u to use some bad ass apps n also modify your i phone (appearance wise)

so what shld i do my take on all this is get an factory unlock n forget it but the point to raise a question out here is it worth or not

Thanks in advance:)

2. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

if you purchase a phone now iTunes is going to make you automatically update to 3.1.3, so blackra1n will be out for you as a jailbreak as well as using blacksn0w as an unlock. there are other ways to jailbreak on 3.1.3 now. if you need the unlock and you can afford a factory unlocked phone i say go for it.

3. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

This isn't true. iTunes never forces you to update your firmware - just say no. Also, blackra1n works on 3.1.3 on the latest 3GS. If your lucky enough to get an older bootrom (unlikely) then you can use Geohots new JB tool.

You are able to unlock all 3GS's using black weather apps.

4. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

i could have sworn 3.1.3 didn't work with blackra1n. thanks for correcting!

5. kp3gs

kp3gs New Member

Thanks for a speedy reply
    Its not bout affording its just tht if i do buy an Factory unlocked i don't want ny wifi issues or ny other as i hve mostly heard on jailbroken 1's
    If i do buy a fact. unlocked can i use blackr4in, winterboard to mod my iPhone if yes will it be gone if i update my iPhone

6. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

unlocking is making it so you can use the phone on any gsm carrier. jailbreaking is what allows you to theme your phone and use apps from cydia.

7. kp3gs

kp3gs New Member

wat if i update my iPhone, will the apps n cydia will b gone as new firmware is installed ?

8. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Reading this thread - http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/sn0wbreeze-jailbreaks-iphone-os-3-1-3.51585/

I got that blackra1n works with 3.1.3 if you have the latest bootrom? Maybe someone could confirm.

To the OP - blackra1n RC3 seems to have cured all the WIFI issues, and yes, whenever you update your phone, regardless of whether its factory unlocked or not, you will loose your jailbreak. Fact unlocked doesn't mean you are able to keep your jailbreak, it just means you can use other network SIMs

#8 iNinja, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  9. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

the whole update situation has always confused me.

lol im sorry i am not much help on this.

10. kp3gs

kp3gs New Member

Thanks iNinja

will it b tethered ? n how to check whether my new iPhone is old bootrom or new 1
    tht's k man u n Ininja has cleared all my doubts Thanks a ton now i can buy 1 without ny questions in my mind bout the fone :)

#10 kp3gs, Feb 5, 2010
  11. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

most likely

12. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Where does it say blackra1n works on 3.1.3? Geohot hasn't even said this himself. The ih8sn0w team made sn0wbreeze that works on 3.1.3.

13. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

#13 iNinja, Feb 5, 2010
  14. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Yes, correct. But you said the blackra1n application will work. It won't. His unlock 'blacksn0w' available in Cydia will, after you jailbreak with sn0wbreeze.

Again, that is false information.

#14 KabaModern, Feb 5, 2010
  15. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Thanks for the clarification. Smart ass ;)

16. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

No problem! :D

17. bparkerson04

bparkerson04 Member
    Bronze

If he buys a factory unlocked phone, and he jailbreaks it, will he lose his unlock? Is there any way to lose a factory unlock? If not OP, I would buy the factory unlocked. That way, you can get the best of both worlds. You'll be officially unlocked, and you can also JB, and not have to worry about using blacksn0w, and any of the potential problems that may occur when using it.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The factory unlocked iPhones cannot become locked with software updates. They are expensive though and you have to travel to the country to buy it, have someone else buy it there for you, or pay even higher rates on eBay. Purchasing one in Hong Kong is abound $815 US dollars. Here's a list of the countries that sell them: Belgium, Czech Republic, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Luxemburg, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.

19. bparkerson04

bparkerson04 Member
    Bronze

If you know someone in the UK, you could have them buy the phone for you from O2, and get it offically unlocked. I saw in a post once by...I believe it was Rossmc... that he got his O2 3GS unlocked for free by O2. They do an official unlock wirelessly. You have to put in a request for it to happen, and it takes several days, but they unlock it over the air for you. That might be a route to explore as well. I didn't realize that offically unlocked iPhone were so expensive.

20. bparkerson04

bparkerson04 Member
    Bronze