Fake iPhone cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by chris, Dec 4, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been ordering a number of cases to get in for review. During my shopping excursion, I noticed a number of comments (and even videos) that detail how retailers are selling fake iPhone cases. Well, fakes of popular manufacturers. In particular, I saw fake Speck cases, complete with packaging. These cases, the fakes, are available for purchase on Amazon and of course eBay. It's got to be a big problem for manufacturers, because the quality is not the same. Since I planned on reviewing some of these, I couldn't take a chance on getting a fake and publishing an unjust review.

It's really hard to pinpoint which is real and which is fake. Most people see the brand name, think they are safe because they are on Amazon and then pick the one which has the lowest price.

I know eBay has no shortage of fakes, especially with the Element cases. I didn't realize it was with the $20-$30 range of cases and they are copying the cases w/ packaging. Nuts!

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

LifeProof has the same issues big time apparently.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That's even worse. People submerging their iPhones with fraudulent Lifeproofs.:eek:

4. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

How about a report comparing a low and high end fake and perhaps what to look for?

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm already on it. ;) Have calls in to a few manufacturers and have already received a few responses. Hope to have something posted by next week.

6. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Cool, thanks, I am looking forward to that review. I think I had a few fake iPhone 4 cases and some were very cheap but the real ones were stupid cheap too - and that makes me rather concerened - why make a fake of something already cheap?