False Advertising

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Just saw a brief financial update on Fox News about the iPhone. The interviewer was clearly biased against ATT and the iPhone. She casually mentioned that Apple is under fire for "false advertising" regarding the speed of the device. I don't think she referenced internet access directly, but it seemed she implied that the UI speed was giving a false impression of the internet speed. A very lame spot that probably makes Jobs' blood boil. It did mine. :mad:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Just saw a brief financial update on Fox News about the iPhone. The interviewer was clearly biased against ATT and the iPhone. She casually mentioned that Apple is under fire for "false advertising" regarding the speed of the device. I don't think she referenced internet access directly, but it seemed she implied that the UI speed was giving a false impression of the internet speed. A very lame spot that probably makes Jobs' blood boil. It did mine. :mad:

I think it's an interesting and very "valid" position on the whole thing....
There are gonna be ALOT of people that are gonna buy this phone (for a lot of $) and expect the internet to move as fast as it's been shown not only during the keynote, but during several advertisements and hands-on demos. They are going to be anywhere from "mildly disappointed" to "extremely upset", when they find out it's probably not gonna move at anything like that speed....

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I really wish everyone would just quit crying about this already. Edge is not that bad I use it everyday.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have said all along that people are going to be disappointed when they leave the store and drop off the WIFI connection and actually use the EDGE network for the first time. The problem will seem even worse because most of the people will have never used the internet on their phones.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I have said all along that people are going to be disappointed when they leave the store and drop off the WIFI connection and actually use the EDGE network for the first time. The problem will seem even worse because most of the people will have never used the internet on their phones.

That's correct. I *have* used it, but I never stuck with the smart phones i've used before, just 'cause it wasn't good enough to warrant paying an extra 20-40$/month. The iPhone sets out to do that, and hopefully it will. But, ColsTiger is right, it's gonna be a bit of a shock to some ppl. Not me, I'm in no way saying i *am* or *will be* one of those people that is gonna be PO'd when I get it home and the connection speed is not really Wi-Fi. I'm mostly gonna use the iPhone as my on-couch Myspace device. haha
Like I did with my laptop, when I had it. I sold it recently, to help buy new clothes for my new job. ;) Someone mentioned that it "wouldn't be false advertising if wi-fi is that fast"....nowhere was it ever mentioned whether or not the demonstrations were on WiFi or not. Now, that's not grounds for a "false advertising" case, but it's definitely gonna set some ppl off. haha

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Use edge all the time on my Pearl and it's fine for a phone. If you are using your phone to surf the web like you would on your computer then you are kind of an idiot anyways.

Hopefully a full webpage won't slow load times any more though.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Use edge all the time on my Pearl and it's fine for a phone. If you are using your phone to surf the web like you would on your computer then you are kind of an idiot anyways.

Hopefully a full webpage won't slow load times any more though.

Not really. The iPhone is supposed to be the next best thing which will require high data speeds but I am not too worried about EDGE.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
The issue at hand is that in the keynotes in january and more recently at WWDC, they make the impression that the phone is running on the cellular network when in fact it's running on specially setup wifi that no one else is accessing, so it has maximum available bandwidth and some of the pages have already been loaded in the dress rehearsals, so the phone appears to be operating a lot faster than it does a)in real world wifi and b)over the network.

Same goes for the ads, the instantaneous rendering doesn't jive even with what they were getting over wifi, never mind what you'll get over edge speeds.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Well what do you expect... SJ is trying to get Al Gore to run again and Fox news is owned by R. Murdock, not exactly a Democrat....LOL

grydlock

Jun 23, 2007
So how do you guys think the actual speed will be in comparison to what we've seen in commercials, the guided tour, etc... ?

May 30, 2007
That's correct. I *have* used it, but I never stuck with the smart phones i've used before, just 'cause it wasn't good enough to warrant paying an extra 20-40$/month. The iPhone sets out to do that, and hopefully it will. But, ColsTiger is right, it's gonna be a bit of a shock to some ppl. Not me, I'm in no way saying i *am* or *will be* one of those people that is gonna be PO'd when I get it home and the connection speed is not really Wi-Fi. I'm mostly gonna use the iPhone as my on-couch Myspace device. haha
Like I did with my laptop, when I had it. I sold it recently, to help buy new clothes for my new job. ;) Someone mentioned that it "wouldn't be false advertising if wi-fi is that fast"....nowhere was it ever mentioned whether or not the demonstrations were on WiFi or not. Now, that's not grounds for a "false advertising" case, but it's definitely gonna set some ppl off. haha
Actually, in the commercials, i think it's made pretty clear that it's wifi because (if i remember correctly) the four vertical bars that show up in the corner of the iPhone (the same bars are at the top of your Apple computer) were lit up black, signifying a wifi connection.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I predict the WIFI speeds will be about the same. I don't think the average person will notice the difference between a WIFI network with 6 users online and one with one user logged on. Most of the time, mine will be used on a network with one other person logged on, so I expect the same speeds as the keynote and the commercials.

Now EDGE is a different story. I've used this many times on my ROKR, SLVR, and V551. I know it won't be fast, but I also know that it will be MUCH faster than GPRS.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I predict the WIFI speeds will be about the same. I don't think the average person will notice the difference between a WIFI network with 6 users online and one with one user logged on. Most of the time, mine will be used on a network with one other person logged on, so I expect the same speeds as the keynote and the commercials.

Now EDGE is a different story. I've used this many times on my ROKR, SLVR, and V551. I know it won't be fast, but I also know that it will be MUCH faster than GPRS.
Plus don't forget that the Edge network got a speed boost lately. I am having no complaints using the web on my Blackberry right now.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Plus don't forget that the Edge network got a speed boost lately. I am having no complaints using the web on my Blackberry right now.
I used my ROKR this weekend just to see if I noticed any speed boost, but unfortunately, I did not. It's faster than GPRS, but still not much faster than it's ever been.:(

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Actually, in the commercials, i think it's made pretty clear that it's wifi because (if i remember correctly) the four vertical bars that show up in the corner of the iPhone (the same bars are at the top of your Apple computer) were lit up black, signifying a wifi connection.

Right. Because everyone's looking for a "WiFi" icon on the phone, in those brief seconds that it's demonstrated. lol

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I used my ROKR this weekend just to see if I noticed any speed boost, but unfortunately, I did not. It's faster than GPRS, but still not much faster than it's ever been.:(
I notice a pretty big difference here in Colorado, maybe it is just dependent on where you live.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
When the internet was fairly new we had one of the first internet T1's in the area. It was actually for our Galacticomm BBS, but we provided TCP/IP dialup also over PPP. That T1 could download 1MB files in like 8 seconds, and that was so fast to me. Anyway, I has 56K dialup from home, but from my other job I had ISDN (128Kbps) connection, back to my T1. And I thought that ISDN connection was plenty fast for browsing the web. EDGE is hovering right around ISDN speeds, sometimes a bit faster, sometimes a bit slower.

I won't mind having an ISDN type speed for browsing the web in my pocket. Honestly, it isn't that bad. I've used EDGE, I know what to expect.

Ok, maybe its a bummer if youtube doesn't stream well, but who knows for sure, my initial instict is that it will still work, but depending on the quality of the video it may need to either fully load, or maybe prebuffer a bit.

Hopefully due to the "FINE-EDGE" improvements they are making to the network will remove lag times, and boost the existing EDGE topology to its theoretical maximum speeds, it will be nice. If AT&T is able to provide unlimited services for a reasonable price, then I will be very happy with what I am getting.

The fastest EDGE based smartphone to date was capable of 4 channels at 56kbps over EDGE which gave a maximum of 224Kbps, BUT the true theoretical maximum for EDGE is 8 channels for a total of 448kbps.

Who knows what iPhone is capable of? Does anyone know how many channels in the iPhone EDGE radio?

Oh, don't expect to get 224Kbps, or 448Kbps, but expect ATLEAST ISDN like speeds. That way I won't be disappointed, but very happy if I get more!