False Advertising

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
When the internet was fairly new we had one of the first internet T1's in the area. It was actually for our Galacticomm BBS, but we provided TCP/IP dialup also over PPP. That T1 could download 1MB files in like 8 seconds, and that was so fast to me. Anyway, I has 56K dialup from home, but from my other job I had ISDN (128Kbps) connection, back to my T1. And I thought that ISDN connection was plenty fast for browsing the web. EDGE is hovering right around ISDN speeds, sometimes a bit faster, sometimes a bit slower.

I won't mind having an ISDN type speed for browsing the web in my pocket. Honestly, it isn't that bad. I've used EDGE, I know what to expect.

Ok, maybe its a bummer if youtube doesn't stream well, but who knows for sure, my initial instict is that it will still work, but depending on the quality of the video it may need to either fully load, or maybe prebuffer a bit.

Hopefully due to the "FINE-EDGE" improvements they are making to the network will remove lag times, and boost the existing EDGE topology to its theoretical maximum speeds, it will be nice. If AT&T is able to provide unlimited services for a reasonable price, then I will be very happy with what I am getting.

Sorry for rambling.
Don't worry about it. Every time I read one of your posts, I learn a little something about networking. Thanks.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
EDGE isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I've experienced significant speed improvements on EDGE in the past few weeks on my BlackBerry 8800. While I don't expect to stream YouTube videos on EDGE, it should suffice for Google Maps and looking up stuff quickly on Safari.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
If the interviewer is thinking that the UI isn't that fast in real life then the rest of the haters and her are in for a surprise. It ran that fast in the Keynote, the commercials, and now the 25 minute real video demo.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Don't worry about it. Every time I read one of your posts, I learn a little something about networking. Thanks.
I edited that post so much. haha. I added a lot more speculation about the fine-edge improvements.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I have said all along that people are going to be disappointed when they leave the store and drop off the WIFI connection and actually use the EDGE network for the first time. The problem will seem even worse because most of the people will have never used the internet on their phones.
This reminds me of looking at diamonds in a jewelry store under their special lights, buying it, then walking outside. Wow, that looks different! :eek:

Especially in those areas where EDGE isn't so hot and they beefed it up at the Apple store. Walk too far from the store and no internet.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
This reminds me of looking at diamonds in a jewelry store under their special lights, buying it, then walking outside. Wow, that looks different! :eek:

Especially in those areas where EDGE isn't so hot and they beefed it up at the Apple store. Walk too far from the store and no internet.
Well, if you can get a Cingular/At&t signal, then you should get internet. It might not be the fastest, but you should still be able to check email and movie times if you want.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
When the internet was fairly new we had one of the first internet T1's in the area. It was actually for our Galacticomm BBS, but we provided TCP/IP dialup also over PPP. That T1 could download 1MB files in like 8 seconds, and that was so fast to me. Anyway, I has 56K dialup from home, but from my other job I had ISDN (128Kbps) connection, back to my T1. And I thought that ISDN connection was plenty fast for browsing the web. EDGE is hovering right around ISDN speeds, sometimes a bit faster, sometimes a bit slower.

Haha that is awesome. I ran a TBBS set up myself with a T1 for the PPP backend.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Yep, those were the days. People dialing up to play multiuser ANSI games. We had a real winner called "Tele-Arena" everyone in the area called to play it. It was a BBS MUD type thing.

Respect on the TBBS. ;)

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Damn man, if I go way back, I used to run "Deadlock BBS" on a Commodore 128 w/ a 300 baud modem. I remember getting snubbed when people wouldn't call LD to my system because I was only 300, so I had to upgrade to the 1200 baud modem. Then I was KING of the HILL. I had damn near 500K of files online. HAHA. damn.

Anyway, yes, I'll be fine w/ EDGE on my iPhone. FINE_EDGE, whatever the heck it is. If I like it, I'll surely upgrade to 3G version of the phone when its available!

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Will it be faster than the browser on the sk?
Welllll... Since T-mobile is an EDGE network as far as I know. It should be similar.. But since AT&T has done improvements to performance, and depending on the number of channels in the iPhone modem it may be faster.

Expect the speed to be similar, and be pleasantly surprised if its faster.

Remember you will get broadband like speeds if you have a WIFI connection.

And web pages will render much better than the sidekick in all cases.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Ok The speeds of the web browser is faster on the commercials compared to the Keynote, You can clearly tell a difference, even if its for a few seconds. But thats advertisement.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Ok The speeds of the web browser is faster on the commercials compared to the Keynote, You can clearly tell a difference, even if its for a few seconds. But thats advertisement.
Thats because the website that was used on the commerical was already loaded in. Jobs was loading sites on the fly.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
I have never used a EDGE network (When the iPhone comes to Australia I doubt it will even use EDGE though)

I was just wondering, what is the actual speed of EDGE? my friend's "broadband" connection is "256Kbps" but the fastest he gets in real life in 35Kbs. My cable internet is "Unlimited" but the max speed is 1.2 Mbps. My 3G phone is so slow it's painful, I don't know the real speed of it though.

I want the real speed not what AT&T say it is

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I have never used a EDGE network (When the iPhone comes to Australia I doubt it will even use EDGE though)

I was just wondering, what is the actual speed of EDGE? my friend's "broadband" connection is "256Kbps" but the fastest he gets in real life in 35Kbs. My cable internet is "Unlimited" but the max speed is 1.2 Mbps. My 3G phone is so slow it's painful, I don't know the real speed of it though.

I want the real speed not what AT&T say it is
I would typically get 80 to 100 Kbps on my Nokias on the AT&T EDGE network. Tested through dlsreports mobile version.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
The issue at hand is that in the keynotes in january and more recently at WWDC, they make the impression that the phone is running on the cellular network when in fact it's running on specially setup wifi that no one else is accessing, so it has maximum available bandwidth and some of the pages have already been loaded in the dress rehearsals, so the phone appears to be operating a lot faster than it does a)in real world wifi and b)over the network.

Same goes for the ads, the instantaneous rendering doesn't jive even with what they were getting over wifi, never mind what you'll get over edge speeds.
And? Hell the whole marketing businesss is nothing but lies what do you really expect? There is not one ad on TV today that something cant be interpreted as a lie and probably is. There motive is money not your well being...LOL.

Change the laws and stop bytching is what I recommend, if people would complaint more to their reps and senators we might see a change in laws. If people would go and vote that would help....LOL worst voter turnout of any democratic country in the world...

damm where did that SOAP BOX come from......appologies :)

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
EDGE isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I've experienced significant speed improvements on EDGE in the past few weeks on my BlackBerry 8800. While I don't expect to stream YouTube videos on EDGE, it should suffice for Google Maps and looking up stuff quickly on Safari.
Good to hear, do you attribute those speed improvements to AT&T advertised EDGE improvement program for the iPhone?

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Thats because the website that was used on the commerical was already loaded in. Jobs was loading sites on the fly.
No he wasn't. I was at the rehearsals for the macworld keynote in january and those pages were loaded at least three times before the real keynote, and they were loaded over special wifi.

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I have said all along that people are going to be disappointed when they leave the store and drop off the WIFI connection and actually use the EDGE network for the first time. The problem will seem even worse because most of the people will have never used the internet on their phones.
Yes! Especially when you have 1 million iPhones all sucking on the EDGE network at the same time. Should be fun.