Family Plan Upgrade options.. One of you get Screwed!

trido

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Att has always set my phone up for me. iPhone 4 we walked in and upgraded the boyfriends line to the iPhone 4. Then said ok now I want to trade phones, switch mine to him and I get the new iPhone 4. They did it no problem. So I would say if Your going to order it from Apple just order under her # then take both phones to ATT and have them switch everything over for you. They have always don't it for free for me. When my iPhone 4 was stolen they even gave me a new sim card free for my old junker phone to hold me over till the 4s.
I think you are exactly right.
thanks

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
right well not free upgrade but cheaper than mine.
So I know this order it using HER number.Let me ask it this way
1. does new phone come from Apple with a blank micro sim?

2. if yes then i can use my iTunes a ccount and activate new pnone on MY number not her number correct?
all at home not going to att to have them do the switch?

trido
I do actually not know if it does come with a sim (I would think so ?)
yes just switch the sims
the phone actually get's the number of the sim and you never even put it in manual
what you put in is first of you like location on or off(can be turned off anytime)
then add the WiFi infor
then it asks for an iTunes ID
so the older phone should have by that time iOS5 (Oct12th) and you have it backed up in the cloud hopefully
so next thing the phone asks if you want to restore from backup and which backup
of course you use cloud (with the ID you had set up October 12th)
that should be it

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Att has always set my phone up for me. iPhone 4 we walked in and upgraded the boyfriends line to the iPhone 4. Then said ok now I want to trade phones, switch mine to him and I get the new iPhone 4. They did it no problem. So I would say if Your going to order it from Apple just order under her # then take both phones to ATT and have them switch everything over for you. They have always don't it for free for me. When my iPhone 4 was stolen they even gave me a new sim card free for my old junker phone to hold me over till the 4s.
that is what I said \how come I missed this post until now ?

trido

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I do actually not know if it does come with a sim (I would think so ?)
yes just switch the sims
the phone actually get's the number of the sim and you never even put it in manual
what you put in is first of you like location on or off(can be turned off anytime)
then add the WiFi infor
then it asks for an iTunes ID
so the older phone should have by that time iOS5 (Oct12th) and you have it backed up in the cloud hopefully
so next thing the phone asks if you want to restore from backup and which backup
of course you use cloud (with the ID you had set up October 12th)
that should be it
again I am not saying this right I HAVE NO SIM to swap as I don't own an iPhone new only wife does.
So iwant to leave her phone and sim alone completely.
it may just be best I take BOTH phones go to ATT let them get it all right.

jcmitchell5

Contributor
Silver
Feb 19, 2010
Arkansas
If you do not have a sim then go to your service provider when you get the phone and tell them you need a micro sim for your number. Tell them what's going on and they will fix you up like a champ!

Fineas

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I'm in a similar situation. I have a iPhone4, not eligible for upgrade yet. My mom has a 3G and is eligible. I am going to use the new 4s and she will take my 4.

We preordered today from AT&T using her account, but I want to make sure I understand the setup advice. (we are not on a family plan-- 2 separate accounts)

When it comes in the mail next week, please confirm that I understand correctly. Before powering the new phone on, I am supposed to put my sim in the new phone before powering on the phone? or do I activate the new phone with her account, and then swap sims?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I want to know how anyone is getting a discounted upgrade (199) when they last created a contract June 2010. Don't you need to wait at least 18 months before seeing a discount?