Family plan upgrade to 3G iPhone

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
According to Apple the $199 and $299 is only:

*Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately

I've been with Cingular/ATT for 3 years on an awesome Family plan (FamilyTalk Nation 550 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes) 37.50 a month + iPhone data and texting + extra phone = around $100 bucks.

Does this require me to sign a new 2 year contract and setup a new plan and not continue my amazingly priced family plan?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It will just require a new 2 year contract. Plus the data plan is now $30/mo. So you are looking at an extra $10/mo. per iPhone.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
by new contract do you mean i can sign a new 2 year agreement, keep my monthly minute plan but upgrade my current iPhone data plan to the 3g plan and be done with it? no changing my rate plan, only data plan requires changing

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It all depends on how old your plan is, they may make you pick a new plan but i am not sure of that, i hope not.

but if they don't it would just be a 2 year contract and an extra 10 a month per phone.

According to Apple the $199 and $299 is only:

*Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately

I've been with Cingular/ATT for 3 years on an awesome Family plan (FamilyTalk Nation 550 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes) 37.50 a month + iPhone data and texting + extra phone = around $100 bucks.

Does this require me to sign a new 2 year contract and setup a new plan and not continue my amazingly priced family plan?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
by new contract do you mean i can sign a new 2 year agreement, keep my monthly minute plan but upgrade my current iPhone data plan to the 3g plan and be done with it? no changing my rate plan, only data plan requires changing
That's what I thought I meant and still do, but I just heard for a good source that the data plan no longer includes the 200 txt messages. That apparently is going to be another extra.
Glad I am sticking with my V1.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
It will just require a new 2 year contract. Plus the data plan is now $30/mo. So you are looking at an extra $10/mo. per iPhone.
people who already have an iPhone will have no increase in rates, I forget where I heard it. Oh yeah g4tv. It was on the feed yesterday. iTunes has the podcast for free.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
people who already have an iPhone will have no increase in rates, I forget where I heard it. Oh yeah g4tv. It was on the feed yesterday. iTunes has the podcast for free.
Maybe not in the minutes plan, but the data plan is $10 more a month and it looks like that may include zero txt msg.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
As an existing customer, you can chose to keep your old voice plan. You will just have to add the data plan. I did this in Sept when I got my iPhone.

Unless they changed the rules. But I do not think they did.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I don't know. I think they said if you extend your contract you keep your rate. Sounds like something they might do. I was extremely surprised when I got my $100 Apple credit last year. Apple is the best company ive dealt with.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't know. I think they said if you extend your contract you keep your rate. Sounds like something they might do. I was extremely surprised when I got my $100 Apple credit last year. Apple is the best company ive dealt with.
Apple has nothing to do with what ATT charges. Trust me, there will be a $30 data plan and at this time includes no txt msgs.