Family share member can delete my iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by FFAP1234, Feb 12, 2016.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I just started using family share option. The family member with her account can see my devices. In other words she can send an alarm etc and, what it worse, can remotely delete my information.

I called apple and I was told the family should not be able to have access to delete the organizer's devices. What do I do? I don't like anybody to have the power to erase or do anything with any of my personal information. I will appreciate if somebody can give me an advice, thank you.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If I'm understanding what you said correctly, it seems you have a family member whose intentions you have some reservations about. Simply revoke her access and share only with family members whom you trust. That seems like the simplest course of action to me.

Nonetheless, you may want to read this Apple support document. It does not say that approved family members have the right to do what you mentioned (i.e. erase your device or access your personal information).

May I ask, where did you read that family members have the access to perform the nefarious actions you mentioned?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It is not Family Sharing that is doing this. It is because you are logged into the same iCloud account, which is a big mistake. Everybody in your family should have their own iCloud account since personal information is kept there and you only get 5 GB free (there's no reason to share that when you can all get your own 5 GB). Logging into the same iCloud account will allow them to see, edit and delete your Notes, Bookmarks, Calendars, and remotely wipe your device. Have everyone in your family log out of your iCloud account in Settings > iCloud and then set up their own iCloud account. They can still use Family Sharing to share your iTunes content. After they are logged out of your account and logged into their own, go to Settings > iCloud > Family Sharing and send an invitation to each of their new iCloud accounts inviting them to share iTunes, App Store and iBooks purchases with you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for sharing that information—that had not occured to me at all. I'm certain the OP's issue will be satisfactorily resolved if he follows your directions.

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

They each have their own account. They are not using mine. I have sent them the invitation for family sharing. When each of them log in with their own account in find my iPhone they can see my devices same as I see myself when I log in with mine account in my iPhone.

The only difference is the way that is listed. Mine starts with my devices and then is listed the others under their names.

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

It isn't a matter or trusting or not, it can accidentally happen.

"May I ask, where did you read that family members have the access to perform the nefarious actions you mentioned?"

I didn't read about it, I am experiencing the situation. When I see their iPhones long in in their account they also see my devices.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Nefarious. Jeesh.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Locating your phone through Find My iPhone on their phones is one thing, having control of your account it is another. If they don't have your password, they should not be able to access information on your account or delete anything. Log out of iCloud and Find My iPhone on each of their phones, reboot and then log back in with their own accounts. Post back if they can still access your personal information after doing this.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I don't have access to their phone at this moment but will try tomorrow. I already removed them from the family sharing and invited them back but it didn't solve the problem. I know it doesn't make sense, I already did what you are suggesting before I posted the original thread. I will give another try tomorrow. Thank you.

10. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I also removed the option for them to see my location. They can see if my devices are on or off line but can't see my location. On the other hand; they can tap on my devices and send a sound alert.

11. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I removed my girlfriend from family sharing at the moment. She doesn't know much about smart phones and I'm afraid for her to wipe up my iPhone.

My roommate "who also is in the family sharing " is out of town until next Saturday. As soon as he is back I will follow all the steps you recommended. Thank you again.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

So you're only talking about Find My iPhone? They can see your phone's location? But that's all. They can't actually access your account. How do you know they can wipe your phone?

13. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Because when I log in their phones with their account one of the three options is erase. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1455568630.209974.jpg

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Are they just members or is it possible to list them as organizers as well? Nothing I have seen from searching around shows the option to allow other users access to wipe/erase your device specifically.. Unless they are using your AppleID credentials.

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

See #3 in this photo. Could you have supplied your AppleID when You sent the invite for the family member to join? ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1455570696.703757.jpg

16. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

No that isn't the case. On the other hand I added and removed them several times to see if that would fix the problem but never did. To this point I will try what Europe suggested. I don't have much hope anymore but I will try it on the weekend.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it doesn't work, stop using Family Sharing and log into each iTunes account with your Apple ID account and log into each iCloud account with the individual's personal iCloud account. This is a superior method to sharing iTunes purchases anyway. There are limitations with Family Sharing.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Europa is right. It's what my wife and I do. With Family Sharing, any in app purchases are not shared. You pay separately for those. I much prefer just sharing the iTunes ID. That's just iTunes. You still need different iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's.