Family Share with strings?

Tyger_purr

Bronze
Oct 3, 2010
I noticed on the Apple site that there is an asterisk by the sharing of purchases that says that not all purchases are included.

I wonder what isn't included.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That may be the limit of 6 family members. There's also parental controls. Well, after reading it on the site, I wonder myself. But they don't say.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
During the presentation, I heard them mention something about accounts using the same credit card. So much stuff today, so my memory is a bit blurry. That would certainly complicate the feature.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Okay, re-reading the site it seems that is if you want to control purchases for devices, like for kids.

I see what you mean by the asterisk. Might just be a CYA until the flush out the feature.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
What I wonder is if a kid gets an iTunes gift card could they buy inappropriate content? Or is it still tied to the Apple Id and the credit card on file?

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
What I wonder is if a kid gets an iTunes gift card could they buy inappropriate content? Or is it still tied to the Apple Id and the credit card on file?
So a responsible parent would get the iTunes gift card (if given as a gift) and redeem the code to juice up the account and then the parent should have the ability to approve the purchases

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Responsible parents should never let their kid buy R rated movies if they are not allowed to watch that. It's about good parenting and setting restrictions if you have to.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Actually, I don't see that they have made any improvements over simply sharing an iTunes Store account amongst your devices. There is still no way to prevent little Johnny from downloading that rated R movie that you bought, or any of the songs in your collection that aren't fit for his young ears. Worse, if you allow Johnny to buy an app/song/video, and he takes his device out of the Family Sharing, HE gets the content, not you.

Apple still maintains that parental controls are only what you get in Restrictions on the device - which isn't very much.