Family Share with strings?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Tyger_purr, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Tyger_purr

Tyger_purr Member
    Bronze

I noticed on the Apple site that there is an asterisk by the sharing of purchases that says that not all purchases are included.

I wonder what isn't included.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That may be the limit of 6 family members. There's also parental controls. Well, after reading it on the site, I wonder myself. But they don't say.

#2 Ledsteplin, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

During the presentation, I heard them mention something about accounts using the same credit card. So much stuff today, so my memory is a bit blurry. That would certainly complicate the feature.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Okay, re-reading the site it seems that is if you want to control purchases for devices, like for kids.

I see what you mean by the asterisk. Might just be a CYA until the flush out the feature.

5. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

What I wonder is if a kid gets an iTunes gift card could they buy inappropriate content? Or is it still tied to the Apple Id and the credit card on file?

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What inappropriate content? :eek: In iTunes?

7. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Rated R movies for a young kid is one example. Anything I deem inappropriate for my kid.

8. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Hmm, I wonder if restrictions you have set on the device will kick in?

9. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

So a responsible parent would get the iTunes gift card (if given as a gift) and redeem the code to juice up the account and then the parent should have the ability to approve the purchases

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Responsible parents should never let their kid buy R rated movies if they are not allowed to watch that. It's about good parenting and setting restrictions if you have to.

11. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Who cares about Rated R movies, my 3 year old grandson loves watching Ted and if he isn't screaming I'm good ;). I'm joking, he doesn't like Ted, he prefers Harold and Kumar.

12. JoeT

JoeT Member
    Silver

Actually, I don't see that they have made any improvements over simply sharing an iTunes Store account amongst your devices. There is still no way to prevent little Johnny from downloading that rated R movie that you bought, or any of the songs in your collection that aren't fit for his young ears. Worse, if you allow Johnny to buy an app/song/video, and he takes his device out of the Family Sharing, HE gets the content, not you.

Apple still maintains that parental controls are only what you get in Restrictions on the device - which isn't very much.