Fan discount with AT&T confusion?

Jun 22, 2008
Has anybody else experienced any confusion when speaking with AT&T representatives regarding the corporate fan discount? I currently have a 20% IRU fan discount. I was told in an earlier post that my discount will apply on both the voice and data plans for the iPhone. I spoke with several AT&T representatives over the phone and received different answers from each representatives, with the majority telling me the iPhone was ineligible for any corporate discounts on the monthly plans. I finally had to request to speak with a customer service manager who confirmed to me that the discount applied to both the voice and data plan. I asked if I needed anything in writing to confirm this and the manager said no all of our employees will be aware by launch. So when iday arrived and I went to purchase my iPhone the other day, the store manager at a AT&T corporate store informed me that I was miss informed and the discount only applied to the voice. Hearing this news made frustrated. I went home and called AT&T and was able to get an e-mail confirming that the discount applied to both. I told my friend about this and he too wanted something in writing from AT&T before he purchased. The representative he talked to said the discount did not apply to the data plan and they would not send him anything in writing. I went back to the same AT&T store today and placed a fulfillment order and was told the discount only applied to the voice plan, where upon I showed my e-mail and the store manager was shocked.

Sorry this was a little long. Anyone else experience this confusion? It seems like everyone you talk to tells you a different story.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I just wish someone had posted more information about this to Apple and the Apple store employees before Friday. I also had a FAN discount and Apple employees went through the waiting line to tell everyone if they had a corporate discount they couldn't activate their phone at the Apple Store. I called AT&T and the guy i spoke with assured me that my v1 iPhone did not have a discount applied and the Apple Store could activate a new 3G for me no trouble. I waited in line and then once we tried to activate, of course the Apple servers would present an error message about an ineligible IRU plan. So we called AT&T back and the CSR told me she removed the FAN from my account so we could activate, but again, it didn't process. We tried for over 4 hours and even went to an AT&T store to verify there was no FAN just so I could get the darn 3G (by this time all of the AT&T stores had been long sold out.) I finally went back to the Apple Store at around 10 p.m. and we tried to activate again, same results. However, the Apple Store had a number for after hours AT&T care and they finally removed the FAN and it processed at 10:45 p.m. on 3G day... what a long day! Now I have to go back to an AT&T store just to get my FAN reapplied. Fun, fun!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I get a different story every time I call customer service & speak with a manager. I don't know who's right anymore. I was told by a customer service manager that I didn't qualify for the $199/$299 pricing because I haven't had my service long enough. According to my account online, I was eligible until 10-30-08 but when I went to pick the phone & pay the $399/$499 pricing, I was charged the $199/$299 pricing. I don't understand. I guess we'll have to wait for the first bill to find out if we get the FAN discount on both voice & data.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
the printout that they gave me instore (att) reflected my discount on both voice and data plans

hotskate

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
i hear different stories from everyone I have a fan number and they say iPhones don't get a discount regardless but i seem to always call up and they just keep crediting my account the 15% but only on the voice plan

tgwinn

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I added a line to my family plan for my daughter to get the 3g iPhone for myself..lol..but my fan number waived my activation fee for me...so hopefully when I get my bill next month it will show my discount for both the voice and data. :)

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I added a line to my family plan for my daughter to get the 3g iPhone for myself..lol..but my fan number waived my activation fee for me...so hopefully when I get my bill next month it will show my discount for both the voice and data. :)
my $18 was waived too but I figured that was because I had an old old old att plan

tgwinn

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
i specifically asked the rep why I wasn't being charged the activation fee and she told me because my fan number waived it... I was like, Sweet! It pays once and a while to be an AT&T employee..ha ha.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
If you have fan numbers keep telling them to add it to the account. It took me about 6 tries until i got fed up and when i went to the AT&T store the rep there took care of it.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
i received an email from one of the customer service idiots that said the iPhone didn't qualify for the discount

morons

i sent her a email back telling her she was wrong and i am demanding resolution on this matter

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
I just got off the phone with AT&T and they told me they are waiving the $18.00 upgrade b/c of my FAN number and a discount no the iPhone voice plan itself, so I will get 15% off $80.00 which is better than nothing.