Fantasy Football Applications.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Fantasy football drafts are starting to approach. My league has a one shot penalty for selecting previously selected players. That means I am going to have to keep up. Last night I downloaded a couple different applications for fantasy football.

ESPN Draft Kit 2009 - I might use this app to evaluate players before the draft. You can get news/analysis on individual players, so I think that is going to be what I use this app for. It is not set up well for draft day because it is too slow while constantly checking servers. There seems to be a lot of features in this app, but I find it difficult to figure out. I am sure if I wanted to dump a couple hours into figuring out how this app is supposed to be used, it might do a decent job. But with it being this complicated, and the speed in which our draft can travel sometimes, I am going to use this for just talent evaluation.

Cheatsheet '09 - I will probably use this on draft day. The information it gets is from Rotoworld. It is easy enough to use, and I have most of it figured out. The only thing I think I would add to this app is the ability to add your opponents team names, so you can keep track of the entire draft instead of just your team and the players already selected. This app seems to work well with no hangs, so I will be able to keep up with my draft.

Studs and Duds '09 - This app is O.K. as well. It gives you the ability to enter how you league scores points and sorts the list by that. In most leagues it is important to draft good running backs in the beginning, but I punched in my numbers for scoring and found out that QB's are a little more important in my league. User interface with this app is good, as it pretty much walks you through what you are doing.

I am looking for other peoples opinions though. What do you intend on using and why?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I downloaded ESPN's app since it was free. Cheatsheet is a good deal considering the up to date Rotoworld info. That's good stuff and priced right.

Despite the info being dated, I'm old school and pick up a bunch of magazines. Taking a vacation next week, so planning on doing a ton of research.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I downloaded ESPN's app since it was free. Cheatsheet is a good deal considering the up to date Rotoworld info. That's good stuff and priced right.

Despite the info being dated, I'm old school and pick up a bunch of magazines. Taking a vacation next week, so planning on doing a ton of research.
That is kinda funny. I am on vacation next week also, and plan on doing a bit of the same thing. I will go through some of the fantasy football periodicals, and alter my lists accordingly on Cheatsheet. Last year i was the only one that didn't walk in the door with magazines and papers. I also didn't have to take a shot of bad whiskey. (They always seem to find the worst whiskey possible for penalties.)

Last year the app I used was horrible. UltimateFFB Fantasy Football Draft Central '08. It was buggy and crashed while I was testing it a couple times. Fortunately it never crashed on draft day. That is why I am here picking brains. I do not want to end up with a crappy app again.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If you pick up one publication, make it's USA Today's special Fantasy Football edition. It's got the "freshest" info when it comes to print. I also subscribe to their weekly -- believe it's called Sports Weekly. I find it gives good insight into who might win a particular position battle, etc.

I'm picking fourth and there is always that pressure to get a big time player in the first round.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Not to hate on anyone, but if you are serious about fantasy football, you are not going to draft via an iPhone app. Too small, takes too long to search, not enough information on the screen at any one given time to make an educated decision. Bring a laptop over and draft like a MAN (or woman)! :-D

rod4soonrs

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
Edmond, OK
not planning on using it for draft purpose, but keeping up with the league.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Not to hate on anyone, but if you are serious about fantasy football, you are not going to draft via an iPhone app. Too small, takes too long to search, not enough information on the screen at any one given time to make an educated decision. Bring a laptop over and draft like a MAN (or woman)! :-D
I prepare for my draft for a week prior to draft day. The app that I will use will allow me to arrange the players in the order I like, and filter by position afterwards so I have it all at my fingertips. Sometimes our draft flies because most are prepared, and know what they want. The app Chris mentioned is decent, and provides a bit of info for each player if needed. I won't even need that little bit of information. I will slide players up and down the list in the week prior to draft, and select the player that I wish from that point. I finished 4th last year, but had the best record. Have you checked out any of the paid apps?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
No haven't looked at the paid ones - just wouldn't want to be drafting off of something as small as an iPhone with such little information available on the screen at one time. Even though I would have my positional ranks as you said all set-up, I still need to compare value of a 3rd WR with that of the remaining TEs available with that of a 4th RB, etc. For that, I have spreadsheets and a bunch of stuff - I actually use two computer screens while drafting.

For me, having it in the palm of my hand (while awesome) won't yield the best results for me.

EDIT: And that is for online drafts. If I had one in person, I'd still bring my laptop and a sheet of paper.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I used Cheatsheet last year for my draft and have this years version. It's the best I've seen, definitely worth the small cost. ESPNs app IMO is not good for an actual draft, but good to have for research.