FAQs for new iPhone users (1st gen)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I've made this thread in the hopes that it will cut down on some of the repetition of the top Newbie questions for STOCK new-out-of-the-box iPhones. Hopefully this helps those new to the iPhone find these answers quickly. If I leave any out please add to the thread. And, yes, I'm posting it in multiple forums because these questions pop up in multiple forums. Hopefully this becomes a sticky. No discussion please, just answers to those obvious questions cluttering the board.

1) There is only one speaker on the bottom of the iPhone. The other side is the microphone.

2) There is no MMS. (Yes you can send and receive pictures via e-mail but that's really not the same thing.)

3) There is no option to SMS multiple recipients.

4) There is no Cut and Paste

5) You cannot save attachments from e-mails.

6) For now, you cannot sync notes with Outlook (or any other program I believe)

7) You can conserve battery life by turning e-mail Auto-Check to manual, by adjusting the brightness lower, by turning Auto-Brightness on, by turning off Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use, and by turning off the Equalizer on the iPod. (Oh and not turning the iPhone on ever will reaallly conserve battery life :laugh2:)

8) Only the stock earphones headset jack fits the iPhone. For all other jacks you must buy a headset adapter (available in the everythingiCafe store BTW) or cut off about the last 1/8" of the soft plastic on the headset jack to allow it to fit down far enough into the iPhone.

9) No, Safari cannot view Flash content on the internet.

10) It is not necessary to fully discharge the iPhone's battery occasionally. This will do nothing to lengthen battery life, and may actually decrease it.

11) There is no video taking capability.

12) Safari will occasionally crash for no reason when also listening to the iPod at the same time.

13) If your iPhone speaker stops working try inserting and removing your headset jack several times. This frequently fixes the issue.

I think this covers most of the very common questions but again please add to the list if I've missed any. Nothing to do with jailbroken or unlocked phones, please.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
15. If you drop your phone and the front glass cracks, it will cost $250 ($200 if you had a 4GB) for Apple to replace the unit. (They do not replace your glass, they replace the entire phone.) For that matter, all non-warranty repairs are the same price.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
16. iPhones are not machine-washable, nor can they be dropped in the
a)toilet
b)swimming pool
c)insert any body of water by name

Several threads document this ad finitum.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
"12) Trying to charge the iPhone with old iPod chargers can fry them."

Wrong.

Old wives tale, works fine.

JMS in TX
Whoops, you're right. I was actually thinking of some of the iPod speaker systems and some of the car chargers. Corrected.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If your applications (safari, youtube, or ipod) keep shutting off and going back to the home screen, then power your phone completely off by holding down the lock button at the top until you get the "slide to power off" screen. Most people only put the phone to sleep by locking it. Every now and then you should completely power down the phone like this to reduce your apps from crashing.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Those iPod chargers will not fry the iPhone, but they don't work either. I've tried 4 ( 1 Griffin TuneJuice, 2 Belkins and a Seidio) so far, and 2 of them actually discharged the battery in a few minutes.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
"12) Trying to charge the iPhone with old iPod chargers can fry them."

Wrong.

Old wives tale, works fine.

JMS in TX
Then again...this guy (and others in this thread) might disagree.

Perhaps, at least, cautious use of the old 10V chargers is warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I actually like the post, but think it should be deleted because it has been posted in each of the forums. I would think consideration would come from Chris on a well thought out post and not that it has been spammed in every forum.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I actually like the post, but think it should be deleted because it has been posted in each of the forums. I would think consideration would come from Chris on a well thought out post and not that it has been spammed in every forum.
I actually sent a IM to Chris as I posted and notified him of the forums it's been posted in (the three forums which seem to get the most of these questions). Certainly if he doesn't feel that it's worthwhile then he's welcome to delete them.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
this post is useless
Yep, I feel the same way. That's why I took the time to go through all these threads and answer all the questions that have come up the most and which seem to annoy the people that have been on the forums for awhile the most.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
10) isn't quite right. Although draining the battery won't (in fact) increase battery life, it will recalibrate the iPhone so it accurately displays the true battery life. This can help to keep it from appearing that the battery is draining too fast.

Although this paragraph from batteryuniversity.com seems to agree with your point:
www.batteryuniversity.com said:
A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
It goes on to explain the importance of calibration:
Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Just looks like someone’s starving attempt at attention. All I was saying was to simply send Chris a message and say "Hey Chris, I was thinking of putting together this killer post of all these same ole questions. Would you consider it for a sticky?" I am only saying this as someone that has been a global moderator on a few huge forums and I have seen pretty much everything. Carry on.