Faster 3G network

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 3, 2007
Has anyone ever taken out there sim card?
I did this when I got my new iPhone, and on it is the 3g network logo.
My understanding is the iPhone uses edge which is slower that sh*t, I get 10x
the speed off of my wifi. But any how let me know if there is a way to upgrade to 3g

Sep 3, 2007
there is no way to upgrade to 3g... the iPhone doesn't have a 3g chip in it. Its just the new style sim that AT&T gives you.
That makes me mad! I mean the iPhone is supposed to be the best phone out, and all the users are stuck using slow EDGE.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
No upgrading to 3G without having an entirely new (perhaps) version 2 iPhone. EDGE isn't really THAT slow. I've used slower data exchanged before. Anyone, the 3G coverage is still extremely spotty. It would be nice to have 3G but time will tell when that happens.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
3G would consume battery life like you wouldn't believe then people would be complaining about that sometimes you gotta make sacrifices and EDGE isn't as bad as everyone says

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
3G would consume battery life like you wouldn't believe then people would be complaining about that sometimes you gotta make sacrifices and EDGE isn't as bad as everyone says
I agree it isn't really that bad. I was using a blackberry prior to the iPhone and was connected with Verizon's evdo. I really can't tell any speed difference between the two.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
didn't you research this before buying your iPhone? If so, then you have yourself to blame, so get over it.
WOW! That was brutal. And for what? because he stated his opinion about the speed? I would love to see a webpage appear in Safari with the speed of Sprints EVDO! Now THAT would be phenomenal! Hey, I'm just keepin' it real... IMO- EDGE SUCKS!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I must just have really good AT&T coverage. My EDGE is not really that slow. Of course, Wi-Fi is noticeably faster, but web pages only take about 7-10 seconds longer to load over EDGE.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
WOW! That was brutal. And for what? because he stated his opinion about the speed? I would love to see a webpage appear in Safari with the speed of Sprints EVDO! Now THAT would be phenomenal! Hey, I'm just keepin' it real... IMO- EDGE SUCKS!
Then go buy a sprint phone and stop whining!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm so tired of people crying about things they new didn't exist when they bought their phones. No 3rd party applications! No 3G network! No video camera.

We all new this when we purchased the phone. Crying about it three and a half months later doesn't do anyone any good. Go buy a different phone if you don't like the iPhone. We'll all be happier.

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
I'm so tired of people crying about things they knew didn't exist when they bought their phones. No 3rd party applications! No 3G network! No video camera.

We all knew this when we purchased the phone. Crying about it three and a half months later doesn't do anyone any good. Go buy a different phone if you don't like the iPhone. We'll all be happier.

Fixed :cool:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
bsharp said:
didn't you research this before buying your iPhone? If so, then you have yourself to blame, so get over it.
bsharp said:
Then go buy a sprint phone and stop whining!
bsharp said:
I'm so tired of people crying about things they new didn't exist when they bought their phones. No 3rd party applications! No 3G network! No video camera.

We all new this when we purchased the phone. Crying about it three and a half months later doesn't do anyone any good. Go buy a different phone if you don't like the iPhone. We'll all be happier.
I don't know who died and made you the EDGE king. Everyone has a right to state what they feel one way or the other. If this forum were filled with a bunch of happy idiots, it would become quite boring.

You seem to have a general knack for telling people to stop complaining; especially when you don't like what they have to say. If you're happy, thats great. I don't recall seeing one post in which someone told you to take your happiness and shove it!

And personally I could care less what you are so tired of. It was a huge ASSumption on your part that I "switch" to Sprint. Here's one for you- I've been with SPRINT for 8 years; the iPhone is merely another TOY to me.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I must just have really good AT&T coverage. My EDGE is not really that slow. Of course, Wi-Fi is noticeably faster, but web pages only take about 7-10 seconds longer to load over EDGE.
Same here. The wait time over EDGE is within a tolerable range. Even pages that l load from other forums with multiple weather maps embedded take about 15 seconds to load. Not bad at all all things considered.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't know who died and made you the EDGE king. Everyone has a right to state what they feel one way or the other. If this forum were filled with a bunch of happy idiots, it would become quite boring.

You seem to have a general knack for telling people to stop complaining; especially when you don't like what they have to say. If you're happy, thats great. I don't recall seeing one post in which someone told you to take your happiness and shove it!

And personally I could care less what you are so tired of. It was a huge ASSumption on your part that I "switch" to Sprint. Here's one for you- I've been with SPRINT for 8 years; the iPhone is merely another TOY to me.
So, to you, it's okay to ***** and moan about the iPhone, but not to complain about the repetitious complaints that people make. We've known for half a year that the iPhone uses Edge. Complaining about it now is silly. It's like buying a Hummer and then complaining about the gas mileage. Caveat Emptor: Buyer beware.

I'm not the "Edge King" (whatever that means). I wish my iPhone were faster. But crying about it here isn't going to make it faster.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
So, to you, it's okay to ***** and moan about the iPhone, but not to complain about the repetitious complaints that people make. We've known for half a year that the iPhone uses Edge. Complaining about it now is silly. It's like buying a Hummer and then complaining about the gas mileage. Caveat Emptor: Buyer beware.

I'm not the "Edge King" (whatever that means). I wish my iPhone were faster. But crying about it here isn't going to make it faster.
***** & Moan? I read a thread in which people chose to state how they feel. You on the other hand jumped on anyone that wasn't overly excited about EDGE by telling them to either "get over it" or "move on." You even told me to "go buy a sprint phone and stop whining!"

You had a choice; You could have also "gotten over it" or "moved on;" but instead you stopped to read each comment and add your own; so as I see it, you did your own form of bitching and moaning about what you're tired of!

You wish your iPhone was faster....sounds like bitching and moaning to me!

The topic was about 3g not the iPhone itself. Read man.... READ!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
That makes me mad! I mean the iPhone is supposed to be the best phone out, and all the users are stuck using slow EDGE.
Dude, you knew this going in. It's in the specs on Apple's site.
Please use the search function, everyone! This has been covered a multitude of times, and there is plenty of info concerning 3G, EDGE, etc., on this website.
Yes, EDGE sucks, use wi-fi when possible, nothing we can do about it. The iPhone is still awesome, though.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You wish your iPhone was faster....sounds like bitching and moaning to me!

The topic was about 3g not the iPhone itself. Read man.... READ!
When I said I wished my iPhone was faster, I was agreeing with you. The next sentence in the paragraph reinforced that - "But crying about it here isn't going to make it faster." The conjunction, "but" is like saying, "yet" or "except that." Therefore, I am not whining. I am simply saying I could whine but choose not to.

Try reading yourself.

I'm curious. We've gone over the Edge deal a hundred times in the forums. It was public knowledge that the iPhone used Edge months before it was even released. What will be accomplished by getting mad about it now?

Jul 23, 2007
When I said I wished my iPhone was faster, I was agreeing with you. The next sentence in the paragraph reinforced that - "But crying about it here isn't going to make it faster." The conjunction, "but" is like saying, "yet" or "except that." Therefore, I am not whining. I am simply saying I could whine but choose not to.

Try reading yourself.

I'm curious. We've gone over the Edge deal a hundred times in the forums. It was public knowledge that the iPhone used Edge months before it was even released. What will be accomplished by getting mad about it now?

Maybe it'll help you realize you're making yourself look like a complete idiot.

Nice little "grammar" lesson on conjunctions there champ...

by the way,

new-something that is new
knew-you knew about something that is new
1st grade.

;)
Don't make me start with the their, they're, there spiel...oh and to and too...makes me feel a whole lot smarter when I see people f*ckin this up...

Back on topic...Regardless of if people know or didn't know about the EDGE before, they find out about 3G after purchasing the phone...nothing wrong with saying "damn, that sucks, wish they made the iPhone 3G capable."

Personally, I was so excited about the iPhone I almost forgot to see if it had 3G or EDGE, but at the last minute checked...was disappointed...and still bought the iPhone because, just like scandalex says...its just another TOY.

I still have my other toy, my BlackJack, for 3G and bluetooth modem usage with my laptop.