Faster EDGE speed today.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Is anyone else experiencing faster EDGE speeds today? Could it be in improving their network for 3G, it has sped up EDGE as well. Haven't clocked it, but pages are loading really fast today.

Jim

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Is anyone else experiencing faster EDGE speeds today? Could it be in improving their network for 3G, it has sped up EDGE as well. Haven't clocked it, but pages are loading really fast today.

Jim
I was thinking about this last night. I know there is a maximum Edge speed (170k?), but will the migration to 3G by everyone increase the speed for Edge users due to a lower bandwidth usage? When it is at top speed, Edge is not all that bad, is it?

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii

Jim
I've been averaging 180kbps - 190kbps today on EDGE.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I wish I had taken the time to test the speed. It was loading pages so fast this morning as I ate breakfast at a McDonalds, that I didn't bother logging into their AT&T WiFi hotspot. Similar speeds all day. Just checking to see if anyone else is noticing faster speeds. My area (Chattanooga, TN) is not in the 3G service area, so I am hopeful that EDGE speeds remain high or get higher.

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
I actually did experience faster edge speeds today. Makes sense that if people are migrating over to 3G when it is released, edge could move quicker. What is the average?

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
Yeap lately they were disconnectibg the edge and connecting in NYC area it improved a lot

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I was thinking about this last night. I know there is a maximum Edge speed (170k?), but will the migration to 3G by everyone increase the speed for Edge users due to a lower bandwidth usage? When it is at top speed, Edge is not all that bad, is it?
Edge isn't that bad. It seems pretty fast to me. Maybe its my area?

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Edge has never seemed that bad to me either. Checks mail and gets it in well elss than a minute when I tap it. And since most of the time checking mail I'm on road and what does a few more seconds matter. Same with most sites I check. Refreshes the stock market in 15 seconds or so. SO what if it did it in 5 seconds. Is that 10 seconds really that big a deal?

Maybe being an old timer, I am so thrilled to be able to check mail, check the internet wherever I am that it being a little slower than in the office or at home just isn't that big a deal.

hamtaro

Sep 2, 2007
EDGE is not so good in my town (Honolulu). But it really worked great when I visited New Jersey (Ft. Monmouth area). If i could get the same speed at home, I probably would not need 3G for a while...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
EDGE is not so good in my town (Honolulu). But it really worked great when I visited New Jersey (Ft. Monmouth area). If i could get the same speed at home, I probably would not need 3G for a while...
Are you planning on buying the new iPhone? You should check if you have coverage before you buy it because then you'll get stuck with the extra 3G charges.

hamtaro

Sep 2, 2007
We have 3G coverage here in Honolulu. I am still deciding though.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, it had WiFi. I didn't log in though. When I stopped for lunch, I noticed I still had really fast EDGE speeds although I was across town with no WiFi available.

pooorboi

Oct 6, 2007
Are you planning on buying the new iPhone? You should check if you have coverage before you buy it because then you'll get stuck with the extra 3G charges.
So if the EDGE network is getting faster than there's no reason to buy the iPhone 3G right?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Well, betting on EDGE getting faster is a pretty big gamble. AT&T would rather spend their resources adding 3G coverage than upgrading EDGE.

If you have 3G coverage, I would say it's probably worth it to get the iPhone–unless you're already an iPhone 1st gen user and are happy with the speeds on EDGE.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Edge is not really that bad. I have Wifi at home, Wifi at school, At work i use Edge and plus Edge is 10 Bucks cheaper.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm in Honolulu too. AT&T has 3G on pretty much the entire island of Oahu, so no problem there.

I am curious though. My EDGE speed is quite good @ 180 -190kbps, and I'm in Honolulu. It actually works pretty fast just about everywhere here for me and my wife.