Fastest Video Converter for OS X?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Since I'll be using OS X (on my PC) a lot, what is a good (and possibly free) video converter for Mac? I want something fast. Videora on Windows (to me) is the best. Does anyone know of an equivalent?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Handbrake.

On my mac it converts any movie, in like 10min...and its free.

Do avi, to mp4. or mp4 to .avi anything.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I thought Handbrake was just DVD's to MP4... I tried it a long time ago and that was the only thing I could get it to do.

I can care less about DVD's>MP4. I just want a fast Video>MP4 converter.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Uhh not that i can recall of. I torrent and the files are in .avi (and other) formats. As soon as the torrent is done, i open handbrake and convert the .avi to an mp4 so i can put it on a DVD disc or into my iPhone.

There is a dropdown menu in handbrake that allows you to select what you want to convert it to.

Im not understanding what you want. You say you want "fast video>mp4" Well what format is this video in because regardless of filetype Handbrake can make it an mp4.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I want a fast video (AVI, WMV, etc) to MP4 converter for OS X. According to Handbrake's website, you can only use it to convert DVD's.

I'll check it out anyway...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Definitely does more than DVDs. I use it to convert Bly rays, and London mentioned he does .avi.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Yeah. I threw a Xvid/AVI file at it and it converted it just fine. I didn't see what the quality looked like yet...

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
After like 5 posts he realizes that i did say, it converts more than just DVD.

Quality is the same, if not better than the original quality pre conversion.

For future reference, if you ask a question try not to come off like a know it all when im telling you the best free converter to use. "According to Handbrake's website, you can only use it to convert DVD's." Well, u can go by what their site says, or you can listen to the helpful and knowledgeable people here.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Well anyway, it converted a video to an M4V file, and it wouldn't transfer to my 6G Classic. I had the 5G checkbox checked and everything...I'll dick with it some more later.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well anyway, it converted a video to an M4V file, and it wouldn't transfer to my 6G Classic. I had the 5G checkbox checked and everything...I'll dick with it some more later.
you probably need to change the file's extension from .mp4 to .m4v. Or in iTunes you can "create ipod or iPhone version".

there is an option in Handbrake's preferences to "use the apple-friendly .m4v extension" so you don't have to mess with it.