Favorite SMS app?

Dec 21, 2008
NY
This applies to appstore ones or not, but I didn't think this belonged in the app store section since I'd like to consider ones from cydia as well.

I'm just curious what peoples' favorite SMS app is. I don't text that often, couple times a day at most, so I'm not sure if I'll justify spending $8 or whatever the one app I saw was (bitesms maybe?).

I'd really like a landscape mode but I haven't found a free one that I can go straight into text messages and type out a landscape sms.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Bitesms is my favorite. It offers landscape, forwarding, and it's free. All you need to do is go into settings and select carrier. Then I would suggest selecting bitesms to be your default SMS app.

Dec 21, 2008
NY
I must have gotten BiteSMS confused with another, I've been trying a bunch. I didn't realize it's free. I'll have to try it out again now that I've removed all the other SMS apps.

Thanks for the reply.

Dec 21, 2008
NY
I just setup BiteSMS, I had saw the pay 10 cents per message, that's where I got confused, I missed where you can set it up to send via your carrier. Thanks for the help!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
No problem. Did you get everything set up?

Dec 21, 2008
NY
Yep, everything is set up. This is exactly what I was looking for.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Bitesms is my favorite. It offers landscape, forwarding, and it's free. All you need to do is go into settings and select carrier. Then I would suggest selecting bitesms to be your default SMS app.
how do you select it as your default sms app?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
how do you select it as your default sms app?
go into bitesms app and then select the blue circle under the send button. It should send you to another screen that has several different toggles to turn features on/off. If you have problems let me know.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
So if you have BiteSMS as your default app, do the texts still come the original icon on the iPhone or no?

Nvm, answered my own question with a simple test. Now with BiteSMS I am going to assume that we just hide of original SMS icon.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Yes they still go to it but it won't give you the number on the top.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Yep, I just used Poof! to hid the original SMS icon. Also, I used SSH to log into my phone, browsed to the biteSMS.app directory and replaced the icon.png with the stock SMS icon (I HATE the biteSMS icon). Looks like the stock SMS application.

Also, use Rename to change the name of biteSMS to "Text." You'll get the label Text instead of biteSMS, and once you change themes, the icon will automatically change since it thinks it the stock SMS application. :)

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
With Poof are you able to bring the old icon back with out any issues? Do we have a thread started on how to use SSH I have read a lot of stuff on it, but can't find how to install it or what not.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
With Poof are you able to bring the old icon back with out any issues? Do we have a thread started on how to use SSH I have read a lot of stuff on it, but can't find how to install it or what not.
Yes, Poof! is really nice now. It comes pre-installed with BossPrefs and is a simple toggle for ON and OFF for each application. Really straightforward UI.

For SSH:

1. Go into Cydia and run a search for OpenSSH and install it on your iPhone.
2. Download a FTP/SFTP client for your computer, most popular is WinSCP, found here: http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/winscp/winscp418setup.exe
3. Open WinSCP and in your initial prompt box, your Host name is your IP address of your iPhone (you need to be on Wifi - to find this, open BossPrefs and it will display your IP address next to the Wifi toggle). For the user name: root and the password: alpine

Note: This may take a few "Reconnects" for it to connect the first time you ever try this. Don't get discouraged, it will eventually connect; it may just time out a couple times.

4. You're logged in, if you want help with specific things to do via SSH, please make a thread :)

Hope this helps,

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Just so everyone knows, I used to jailbreak my iPhone until I got my 3G and the App Store came out. Since then, I have avoided jailbreaking (causes more crashes, slows down phone, dangerous, etc.). Well, I tried biteSMS on my sister's phone and this app alone is making me want to finally jailbreak again, it's the first nonapproved app I actually really really want.

Before I get it though they need to speed it up, loading conversations takes way too long.

Jan 11, 2009
This is a complete noob question...but does using one of these SMS programs still count against your message count with ATT?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
^^^
yes it does. You can buy credits with Bitesms that are supposedly cheaper than Att.