Favorite soccer teams.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Hello there,

So you will have to write your favorite national team and your favorite club. Oh and only one of each.

I'll start:

Favorite club: AC Milan.

Favorite national team: Brazil.

Your turn..

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Favorite National Team = England

Favorite Club Side = Tottenham Hotspur

I also love watching Spain play just now, as well as Argentina and of course Brazil ...

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
England's soccer clubs are much better than the national team itself. Explains why they never even won the Euro cup except like once, that's if they even won. They also don't win a lot of World Cups.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
England's soccer clubs are much better than the national team itself. Explains why they never even won the Euro cup except like once, that's if they even won. They also don't win a lot of World Cups.
True that their clubs way outplay their national side. I'm pretty sure they've never won the European Championship - their best effort was making the semis when it was played at home (in 96 I think).

Not sure of the reason - club sides being strong should be a good thing, as well as playing in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

I think a lot of it is coaching and mental stuff - they are 'chokers' - hate to admit that, but it's fact in big tournaments. They often look to be playing not to lose, especially against the stronger sides, and they revert to stupid, one-dimensional 'balls into the box' sort of approach when they run out of ideas (which is often). And they can't make their fecking penalties, which is just shameful!

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
THe only soccer i know is what i have learned from fifa 09.:laugh2: I play with brazil, manchester united or chelsea. Oh yeah the houston dynamo back to back champs! WHAT! WHAT!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
THe only soccer i know is what i have learned from fifa 09.:laugh2: I play with brazil, manchester united or chelsea. Oh yeah the houston dynamo back to back champs! WHAT! WHAT!
If you're playing as Brazil, ManU and Chelsea you're choosing well - 3 powerful teams.

I wish the MLS was a better league, but it's ****e unfortunately :laugh2:

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
True that their clubs way outplay their national side. I'm pretty sure they've never won the European Championship - their best effort was making the semis when it was played at home (in 96 I think).

Not sure of the reason - club sides being strong should be a good thing, as well as playing in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

I think a lot of it is coaching and mental stuff - they are 'chokers' - hate to admit that, but it's fact in big tournaments. They often look to be playing not to lose, especially against the stronger sides, and they revert to stupid, one-dimensional 'balls into the box' sort of approach when they run out of ideas (which is often). And they can't make their fecking penalties, which is just shameful!
That's true. England's soccer team is probably the exact opposite of Brazil's and Argentina's. Brazil's and Argentina's national soccer teams are awesome, but their clubs aren't that known and aren't that good to be honest. But you know how many players, who come from Brazil, are ranked like the top players in the world? Hell a lot.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yup, their are some big, strong clubs in those two countries - but not near as much depth as in the top three leagues in Europe (EPL, Primera Liga, Serie A).

And all the best Brazilian / Argentine players play in Europe.

What do you think of Beckham maybe staying with Milan?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Beckham is nothing but a has-been to me. He already made so much money and fame and I guess it's time for him to give it up and quit. Also players like Roberto Carlos are just humiliating themselves, he's now playing in Fenerbahce, which sucks, after being a star in Inter****onale and Real Madrid, I think it's about time for him to quit as well.

Plus, I don't like Beckham at all, especially in TV interviews. Did you watch the one with him, Victoria, and Ali G though? Freakin hilarious haha.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Beckham is nothing but a has-been to me. He already made so much money and fame and I guess it's time for him to give it up and quit. Also players like Roberto Carlos are just humiliating themselves, he's now playing in Fenerbahce, which sucks, after being a star in Inter****onale and Real Madrid, I think it's about time for him to quit as well.

Plus, I don't like Beckham at all, especially in TV interviews. Did you watch the one with him, Victoria, and Ali G though? Freakin hilarious haha.
I think Beckham is past his peak, by a fair way - but I think he's still an asset for a club because he is a leader and one of the hardest workers / best trainers anywhere in the world. He was famous at ManU for being first one on / last one off training pitch even when he was a megastar. And during matches, he always gives 110% and covers every inch of the pitch.

He's also the best England captain I've seen since following the team (lots of years) - again, he lead by example with his work ethic, and he was The Man for big moments - one of the few 'clutch' players England has had in big matches in recent years.

And yeah, that Ali G interview was hilarious - and I think it showed another strong side of Becks. Ali G ripped both of them apart, and hit way below the belt as always (in the funniest possible way) - and Becks took it all with extremely good humor. He's a good bloke I think ...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i love when soccer players get tripped and act like they just got shot. rolling around on the ground crying like a little baby. then, as soon as a card comes out, they jump up like nothing happened. that is a pathetic display of sportsmanship imo.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
i love when soccer players get tripped and act like they just got shot. rolling around on the ground crying like a little baby. then, as soon as a card comes out, they jump up like nothing happened. that is a pathetic display of sportsmanship imo.
That is a horrible tactic - it's usually called 'diving'. Most good leagues are supposed to be cracking down on it - with offenders getting carded themselves when they do it. Hopefully it will gradually get done less and less - it happens way too much right now.

Then again, most sports have their shortcomings - in the NBA we have the traveling rule for regular players and the other traveling rule for superstars. In the NFL, you have the fact that it takes 180 minutes and more to play 60 minutes - and many players need oxygen on the sidelines when they overdo it for 2-3 minutes it seems - at least in futbol, they run, and run, and run for 45 minutes each half with nearly zero stoppage time. Same in rugby (though it's 40 minute halves) ...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I *love* rugby. Don't get to see as much here in the US, but love watching it. Also played it when I was at Uni in the UK (me and one other guy were the 'dumb yanks' on the team). Superb game, but boy did you have to be a big drinker to keep up with post-match and post-training drinking sessions :laugh2:

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
That only happens when there is a weak ref in the match who can't even control it. And it doesn't happen in good leagues like the English, Italian, and definitely Spanish leagues. But you know, that's part of soccer. Just like solo fights in Hockey hahaha.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I think Beckham is past his peak, by a fair way - but I think he's still an asset for a club because he is a leader and one of the hardest workers / best trainers anywhere in the world. He was famous at ManU for being first one on / last one off training pitch even when he was a megastar. And during matches, he always gives 110% and covers every inch of the pitch.

He's also the best England captain I've seen since following the team (lots of years) - again, he lead by example with his work ethic, and he was The Man for big moments - one of the few 'clutch' players England has had in big matches in recent years.

And yeah, that Ali G interview was hilarious - and I think it showed another strong side of Becks. Ali G ripped both of them apart, and hit way below the belt as always (in the funniest possible way) - and Becks took it all with extremely good humor. He's a good bloke I think ...
True, he did take it with all good humor, isn't that what sportsmanship is all about? :p. And uhh, of course Beckham is a leader, and it's enough for a team to have him as a player in it, and his Manchester United age was like a milestone, I am going to have to agree with you, he was one of the best players there, and he is one of the factors that led to ManU becoming more and more better, now they are the all-time champions. Of course thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo, one of my favorite and most beloved players. I really like Wayne Rooney too, he's one of the best players atm.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ronaldo is electrifying to watch when he's in top form, for sure. Wish he would've been at his best for Portugal in the Euros. I also hate seeing how targetted he is - he gets hacked up severely nearly every match.

Rooney is also a great one, when he keeps his head together. Who are some of your fave Milan players, now or ever?

I'm not a Milan fan of course, but they've had some awesome teams down the years - some of my faves: Gullit, Desailly, Seedorf, and of course van Basten ...

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
So umm, I like almost all of the squad but my top top favorites are:

Maldini
Inzaghi
Nesta
Pirlo
Kaka (my top top top top top..and beyond favorite lol)
Shevchenko

So Beckham and Ronaldinho just moved there and I really haven't seen Milan matches lately because I've been a bit busy, but I am going to start watching again and I hope Ronaldinho and Beckham can have a great effect on the team.

LONG LIVE il Diavolo (that's their nickname which means The Devil).