FC: 1.1.4 Fix for PocketGuitar

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I realized after a recent restore and jailbreak of 1.1.4 that PocketGuitar stops working when you create a new partnership with iTunes instead of restoring your previous backup. The problem is just permissions related, so I've put together a little fix to get you strumming in 1.1.4.

FIX: PocketGuitar is now available in the Fight Club, and makes the following changes,

chmod 777 /var/root/Media

By default root's Media folder does not have high enough permissions to grant PocketGuitar access to the Sound files it needs. Instead of reporting an error, PocketGuitar just silently shuts down.

Uninstalling this Fix will retain your Media folder's 777 permissions, as theres no harm in leaving it this way. The only thing this benefits is older applications which still need to access this folder, PocketGuitar .02 is one of them.

To Add My Source
Add the line below to your Installer Sources:
http://dezign999.com/repo

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
PocketGuitar works fine for me on 1.14.

- John
Good to know, Thank you drive through!

Did you restore your iTunes profile, or set up a new one after jailbreaking?

It didn't work for me after setting up a new profile, and my friends at work have also experienced the same problem. I posted the fix for them as well as anyone else experiencing problems.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, I restored on Tuesday and have since ben running stock, with music, photos, etc., and just jailbroke with ZiPhone without restoring. I figured it would be an unnecessary hassle.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well, I restored on Tuesday and have since ben running stock, with music, photos, etc., and just jailbroke with ZiPhone without restoring. I figured it would be an unnecessary hassle.

- John
You're one of the lucky ones then.

I've got well over a hundred downloads logged since this patch went live, and theres a healthy thread going over on MMi with people experiencing the same problem.

Its there if ya need it.

Doakiphone

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
This fix wont work for me. Its giving me an error saying that needs to be running on 1.1.4 and im on 1.1.4. So any ideas what thats all about?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
This fix wont work for me. Its giving me an error saying that needs to be running on 1.1.4 and im on 1.1.4. So any ideas what thats all about?
Did you do use one of those patches that lets you install 1.1.3 apps in 1.1.4? I think it was called like "App Support?"

If so, thats your problem, your system version info is still reporting 1.1.3. Beyond that I'm not sure what the issue is, but my money is on the app support thingy.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is likely unrelated, but I don't wanna start a new thread being a jailbreakin' newbie and what not, but...

virgin 1.1.4 break via ziPhone 2.5c....

I go into installer today and see an update for pocketguitar. I install it, run it, seems fine. Go into settings, pick distorted guitar, go back, no workie. I adjust fretboard, change to other sounds, nothing.

So I uninstalled it, redownloaded and installed it again. Now it won't even launch (goes to black for a few seconds then back to home)

So how can I get my nifty guitar back?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I did the update myself and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure if you've ran the fix I'm hosting on my installer repository, but it basically puts a 777 on your /var/root/Media folder.

I checked the install script for the update and it doesn't do anything different. It installs to the exact same /var/root/Media/PocketGuitar folder :T

Dec 9, 2007
I receently restored my phone to 1.1.4 and selected "new partnership". Sure enough, PocketGuitar didn't work. I ran the the fix from your installer and while it installed with no problems, PocketGuitar still crashes. I even then manually ran the command chmod 777 /var/root/Media in Terminal, but PocketGuitar still crashes. Could the crashing be caused by some other permission I need to change?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I receently restored my phone to 1.1.4 and selected "new partnership". Sure enough, PocketGuitar didn't work. I ran the the fix from your installer and while it installed with no problems, PocketGuitar still crashes. I even then manually ran the command chmod 777 /var/root/Media in Terminal, but PocketGuitar still crashes. Could the crashing be caused by some other permission I need to change?
There is the chance that /Applications/PocketGuitar.app is not set, as well as /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/net.podmap.PocketGuitar.plist

If you get yours to work after changing permissions on those, please let me know. I'll add it to my fix.

Dec 9, 2007
There is the chance that /Applications/PocketGuitar.app is not set, as well as /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/net.podmap.PocketGuitar.plist

If you get yours to work after changing permissions on those, please let me know. I'll add it to my fix.
Strange, net.podmap.PocketGuitar.plist doesn't exist in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ for me. I see a ton of other .plist files, but none for PocketGuitar.

Also, I tried manually chmod 777 the /Applications/PocketGuitar.app, but still crashes. Any suggestions?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Strange, net.podmap.PocketGuitar.plist doesn't exist in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ for me. I see a ton of other .plist files, but none for PocketGuitar.

Also, I tried manually chmod 777 the /Applications/PocketGuitar.app, but still crashes. Any suggestions?
I just checked, and my /var/mobile/Library/Preferences folder is also set to 777.

I believe this is the "fix."

Keep me posted, I'm going to add it to my fix. I think I left this out by mistake.

Dec 9, 2007
I just checked, and my /var/mobile/Library/Preferences folder is also set to 777.

I believe this is the "fix."

Keep me posted, I'm going to add it to my fix. I think I left this out by mistake.
didn't work either unfortunately. After chmod 777 to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences, I even uninstalled Pocket Guitar and then reinstalled, but still no avail. It's definitely sounds like a permissions problem -- perhaps that's why it didn't create net.podmap.PocketGuitar.plist. Do you have any other suggestions? I appreciate all the help thusfar.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Man I really wish I could get this working again. It was running fine for me on 1.1.4 until I ran the recent update (not your fix, 999... I don't even see that one even though you're in my sources). Now it won't even load. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times now.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Man I really wish I could get this working again. It was running fine for me on 1.1.4 until I ran the recent update (not your fix, 999... I don't even see that one even though you're in my sources). Now it won't even load. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times now.
Well, this is the install array:

<key>install</key>
<array>
<array>
<string>CopyPath</string>
<string>PocketGuitar.app</string>
<string>/Applications/PocketGuitar.app</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>CopyPath</string>
<string>Media</string>
<string>/var/root/Media/</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>SetStatus</string>
<string>Extracting samples...</string>
</array>
<array>
<string>Exec</string>
<string>/Applications/PocketGuitar.app/extract_samples</string>
</array>
</array>
We've basically touched upon all those folders, including the preferences folder.

---

Just for the heck of it, I also checked the permissions on /var/mobile and /var/mobile/Library, both have 755 permissions.

If you don't have the plist its trying to create, PG is obviously hitting a roadblock as it traverses to the preferences folder. Please check your permisisons on the tree leading to the Prefs folder.

Lastly, have a go with placing this plist in there, I checked it out and its only storing the application settings, like handedness, fret spacing etc.

If you wouldn't mind, please check the permissions first before trying out the attached plist file. I'd like to get to the bottom of this so that I can be certain the fix I'm offering works as intended for everyone.

Thanks

Attachments

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's what's happening to me. I've tried all the fixes.

Bummed.... moo cow is nice, but PG is different, and I'd love to have both...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
That's what's happening to me. I've tried all the fixes.

Bummed.... moo cow is nice, but PG is different, and I'd love to have both...
I can't remember, but did we check the permissions on /var/root/Media/PocketGuitar?

Here's something to consider. What if the update changed the app user to mobile now? Therefore, the app worked before the update because the resources it was looking for in the "root" directories as the user "root." Now, its looking for those same files in the same location as "mobile."

I'm not sure this is the case, but it sure is worth investigating.

Have you tried a

chmod -R 777 /var/root

?

Dec 9, 2007
I can't remember, but did we check the permissions on /var/root/Media/PocketGuitar?

Here's something to consider. What if the update changed the app user to mobile now? Therefore, the app worked before the update because the resources it was looking for in the "root" directories as the user "root." Now, its looking for those same files in the same location as "mobile."

I'm not sure this is the case, but it sure is worth investigating.

Have you tried a

chmod -R 777 /var/root

?
Still a no go. I think I just may have to give up on Pocket Guitar until they fix it. I really appreciate you trying though.