Features for China?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Why is it that when browsing Apple's US website, I am informed that iOS 6 will have "Features For China?" That's great for China (and, by all means, they should stick that in their Chinese website), but what about the large percentage of people in the US who never go to China nor do businesss with China? And if Apple announces "Features For China," why don't they also announce "Features for Germany" and other countries (because of, to name one example, the new localizations for Siri)?

I think it is discriminatory against the other countries.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Attachments

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Life doesn't revolve around, America.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
Really, I've been lied to for all these years.
i'm afraid so china pretty much owns most the US so were would the US be if not for china? the US only makes up to approx 5% pf the world population china's is approx 20% so you know what the say the squeaky wheel gets the oil:)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Life doesn't revolve around, America.
It obviously doesn't, but does it revolve around China? Enough for these "Features For China" to be so prominently displayed on US versions of Apple's website?

However, when Googling "NYC Capital of the World," many, many, many results come up. Some of them end in a question mark, but at least, if it isn't the True Capital of the World, then many, many people are vehemently debating whether it should or shouldn't be. I've quickly pulled up results that consistently refer to New York (in other words, THE USA) as the (Media/Litigation/Fashion/etc.) capital of the world.

New York v London: the battle to be the world's capital (Notice, New York v London, not v China!)
Litigation Capital of the World
The Media Capital of the World: A Vision for New York City in 2020
NYC Fashion Info - NYCFashionInfo.com: The Fashion Capital

Also, some negatives, like
Welcome to NYC, "Marijuana Arrest Capital of the World": Gothamist (but one could argue that the war on drugs is just an excuse to make money for some people out there)

Which phrase is common to all of these? "Capital of the World"

I composed this reply fairly quickly, but if someone were to spend a week or two researching this, I think the USA stands a very good chance of being the "Capital of the World", maybe not in all fields, but at least the financial field (earning much of this title through NYC and its contributions and high standing).

My point is, I feel the mention of "Features for China" is currently unwarranted on Apple's USA site. And as I stated previously, by all means, go stick that announcement everywhere in the China version of Apple's site. If it someone at Apple felt the urge to mention it, why not include other countries with similar merits? What are Germany and France, chopped liver?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
i'm afraid so china pretty much owns most the US so were would the US be if not for china? the US only makes up to approx 5% pf the world population china's is approx 20% so you know what the say the squeaky wheel gets the oil:)
The below is taken from Wikipedia:

United States area:

9,826,675 km²
3,794,101 sq mi

China area:

9,671,018 km²
3,704,427 sq mi

United States population:
313,753,000 (2012 estimate)

China population:
1,339,724,852 (2010 census)

All this proves is that they've been extremely efficient at reproducing for many, many years, without any forethought as to what consequences this may bring. They were so efficient at reproducing, that each couple is now only allowed to reproduce once. Efficiency at reproducing, often carelessly, is not necessarily a skill deserving of a trophy, IMHO. Such a high population density can have many deleterious effects. I can't believe that with massive number of people there, no one is smart enough to say, we ought to show some self control. One way to do this: The one-child policy needs to become stricter. As it stands, allowing exemptions for several cases, including rural couples, ethnic minorities, and parents without any siblings themselves--well those exceptions should be done away. Soon. Or else, the quality of life for many, many people in China stands to suffer.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
c/p
"China has the world’s largest mobile phone market — with a population of around 1.3 billion, and an estimated 988 million mobile phone subscribers.
Android has outrun Apple in the China mobile platform market share race, as it comes close to claiming nearly 70 percent of the smartphone market."

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It obviously doesn't, but does it revolve around China? Enough for these "Features For China" to be so prominently displayed on US versions of Apple's website?

However, when Googling "NYC Capital of the World," many, many, many results come up. Some of them end in a question mark, but at least, if it isn't the True Capital of the World, then many, many people are vehemently debating whether it should or shouldn't be. I've quickly pulled up results that consistently refer to New York (in other words, THE USA) as the (Media/Litigation/Fashion/etc.) capital of the world.

New York v London: the battle to be the world's capital (Notice, New York v London, not v China!)
Litigation Capital of the World
The Media Capital of the World: A Vision for New York City in 2020
NYC Fashion Info - NYCFashionInfo.com: The Fashion Capital

Also, some negatives, like
Welcome to NYC, "Marijuana Arrest Capital of the World": Gothamist (but one could argue that the war on drugs is just an excuse to make money for some people out there)

Which phrase is common to all of these? "Capital of the World"

I composed this reply fairly quickly, but if someone were to spend a week or two researching this, I think the USA stands a very good chance of being the "Capital of the World", maybe not in all fields, but at least the financial field (earning much of this title through NYC and its contributions and high standing).

My point is, I feel the mention of "Features for China" is currently unwarranted on Apple's USA site. And as I stated previously, by all means, go stick that announcement everywhere in the China version of Apple's site. If it someone at Apple felt the urge to mention it, why not include other countries with similar merits? What are Germany and France, chopped liver?
To summarise your argument; I should be pissed too because the UK didn't get a mention either.

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Ouch wow that Lott of ppl!
It shouldn't b on there but it is.... Idk what or why it's just is

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
I should b bummed neither did Spain Portugal Ireland or Poland! Me and my dh ancestors.plus French Canadian!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Germany had features from the beginning
I believe Chinese/Mandarin is a very complex langauge.
As others say China is a world economy and without China the US would be a very differrent Country.
Anyway as a german and no chopped liver here

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
lol... if this bugs you this much, I'd hate to see what a real problem does. "Prominently displayed"... the feature is listed dead last on a list of about 14 different new features. If you go to China's Apple site it is listed first.

It could be that most countries like Germany, France, etc make English mandatory so added features for those countries aren't as necessary. Who knows. :)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
And this is in the iOS 6 forum for what reason?
Because it's the iOS release where Apple has made it a point to announce it.

And I agree with everyone that features for every country should have been mentioned, as I already mentioned on my original post. I think a heading of "International Features" could have been made as an aside, then go on to list each country's new features, as opposed to throwing China, and only China, on the main page.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

GAO

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
Oklahoma
I think the issues that relate to China only are there to appease the government as much as anything else.