Features

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Hey, I have never owned an iPhone before, I was wonderinf if a member could help me out with my question?

If I do not purchase a data plan for my iPhone 3G (Canadian), can I use the toher features that require internet? eg. weather, news, etc.

Thanks

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
Hey, I have never owned an iPhone before, I was wonderinf if a member could help me out with my question?

If I do not purchase a data plan for my iPhone 3G (Canadian), can I use the toher features that require internet? eg. weather, news, etc.

Thanks
You can get internet from WiFi, but i think internet is needed for those apps to work.

I also think you need to activate it w/ the data plan to get it @ the lower price though.

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Rogers has stated that you do not need to purchase a data plan to activate the iPhone in Canada.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Rogers has stated that you do not need to purchase a data plan to activate the iPhone in Canada.
Sorry. I didn't realize. Yes, you can use the ipod and game features, but nothing when you're not on wifi.

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Sorry. I didn't realize. Yes, you can use the ipod and game features, but nothing when you're not on wifi.
So basically what you're saying is that, i don't need the data plan to use the features but access to a internet connection.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So basically what you're saying is that, i don't need the data plan to use the features but access to a internet connection.
IF you use any of the internet features (stocks, weather, google maps, web clips and so on) while you're not on a WIFI connection, Rogers is going to charge you $.05/Kb. I usually use about 30MB during a month and that's just when I'm not on WIFI. I don't consider myself a heavy surfer either. That comes just from checking weather, stocks, and google maps when I'm around town and using my EDGE service. IF you EVER use any of those internet features over-the-air, they're going to tear you a new butthole with those charges. I would think long and hard about get the lowest data package at least.

And yes, you can access the internet features without a data plan, but it'll be tremendously expensive.

Good luck!

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
you need Internet for features like weather and the app store, only thing you could do without Internet is make calls and use the ipod feature pretty much. if you some how don't have to get the Internet plan you could use wifi and all the features will work

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
I'm not very good with this, i'm very young. :p

I believe to have a wifi connection in my house, is that common?

Would that permit the usage of all the features without the heavy costs of 5 cents/KB?

Thanks

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Yes, that would work, and you won't be charged the 5 cents/KB... Wifi = Free. Well in a sense .. :)

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
I believe to have a wifi connection in my house, is that common?
No, having a wifi connection in your house is not common. It is usually given at certain local businessses (starbucks, panera, etc.) Some cities have, though, wired their whole community with wifi to attract tourists and benefit residents.

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
No, having a wifi connection in your house is not common. It is usually given at certain local businessses (starbucks, panera, etc.) Some cities have, though, wired their whole community with wifi to attract tourists and benefit residents.
If I do have Wifi in my house, that means I can use the features?

What about the "Rogers Hotspots"?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't know, just about every household I've been in that does not belong to someone that is completely un-tech-savvy has a router.

- John

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I don't know, just about every household I've been in that does not belong to someone that is completely un-tech-savvy has a router.

- John
i say its common, every house im in ether has wifi or three of there neighbors do lol