feedback static in vehicle through radio

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
I am getting a lot of static/feedback through the radio. I have my iPhone hooked up with a cigarette lighter charger and with a audio output through the cassette player so I can listen to music or Pandora radio.

the feedback/static will be none one moment and then terrible the next. I have moved the phone all over, and cannot find a good place for the phone and still have the charger hooked up.

Is there anyway to reduce the noise?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I remember seeing in other threads that this might be due to the deck not being grounded properly. I believe you can go to Radio Shack and they have a piece that you can install yourself to solve this problem.
Maybe others will jump in that know what this piece is.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Ground loop isolator is the part you need. Hopefully it will help. BTW Radio Shack is the devil, avoid it at all costs! I think Radio Shack has a 20 dollar minimum markup policy!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am getting a lot of static/feedback through the radio. I have my iPhone hooked up with a cigarette lighter charger and with a audio output through the cassette player so I can listen to music or Pandora radio.

the feedback/static will be none one moment and then terrible the next. I have moved the phone all over, and cannot find a good place for the phone and still have the charger hooked up.

Is there anyway to reduce the noise?
If you are referring to the "GSM" noise when the phone talks to the towers, you need to first, position your phone away from the radio, and then get some of the isolators for your speaker wires. You can find them online and they are pretty cheap.
If you have just regular old static, then it points to a bad connection or faulty wire.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Ground loop isolator is the part you need. Hopefully it will help. BTW Radio Shack is the devil, avoid it at all costs! I think Radio Shack has a 20 dollar minimum markup policy!
That's what I was referring to, just couldn't remember the name. Thanks for jumping in.
I threw out Radio Shack because it is a place almost everyone has. I very, very seldom go there and don't know much about their markup practices. But anyway, this is the part the OP probably needs to solve the problem.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
how many of these isolators do I need? and yes, it is the GSM noise, just didn't know what it was called.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
That's what I was referring to, just couldn't remember the name. Thanks for jumping in.
I threw out Radio Shack because it is a place almost everyone has. I very, very seldom go there and don't know much about their markup practices. But anyway, this is the part the OP probably needs to solve the problem.
hopefully it works for them!:laugh2:

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
My vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Highlander. It has a 6 disc in dash cd player and a cassette player. I am currently using the tape deck with a cassette adapter plugged into the audio output on the iPhone and using a cigarette car charger.

any better suggestions for listening to tunes?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
The ground loop isolator is usually wired for RCA connections. I don't know if there is going to be a good fix for this issue if you play through the tape deck. Does your unit have an AUX mode? You might have to get a new, fancy headunit.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You might want to look into ferrite beads. I've never tried, but I've heard of others effectively reducing their GSM interference using them.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Highlander. It has a 6 disc in dash cd player and a cassette player. I am currently using the tape deck with a cassette adapter plugged into the audio output on the iPhone and using a cigarette car charger.

any better suggestions for listening to tunes?
You can do a search for a 3.5 mm ground loop isolator and you will find the appropriate device. I got one from Amazon that was $15, and I sold it to Napoleon Phoneapart for $10.
A ground loop isolator kills ENGINE noise. Ferrite beads will kill GSM noise. (this is for edge connectivity - 3G doesn't seem to cause the GSM noise in other electronics.) You would need to remove your stereo and put one on each group of wires, and that should about remove most GSM interference.