Fetch or Push

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
I kind of understand the difference between them, but which is better for battery life? Fetch hourly or enable push?

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Push is a lil easier on the battery from my experience

But unless you have yahoo mail or mobileme, you're stuck with the fetch schedule :(

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
It is also better on battery life if you set it to check manually, rather then a set period of time.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
It is also better on battery life if you set it to check manually, rather then a set period of time.

That what I used to do, but I would rather know I have a email before checking it

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
also too, any AT&T or sbc global email account will work though the yahoo setup and push. I guess yahoo/AT&T/sbc are all in bed together. my xxx@att.net was setup through the yahoo option and it pushes.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
Hopefully Gmail will develop push email for us. I read they are making an Android application which will support push email, notifications, etc. Hopefully they don't make the push function specific to the application on Android.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I really don't know which is better, cause I just switched my mail from fetch to push:eek:
-But I noticed before that I was more likely to get my mail when I had it set on a fetch schedule than push, but Im gonna try Push out for today to see if I actually get my mail

Cause usually I'm at home on Wi-fi and wont receive any mail until I'm heading to work or just turn off wi-fi for some reason:eek:

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
on my gmail account whener i get an email ill get a sms stating i received an email. no need to waste battery on push or fetch.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
How do you do that, sir?
- log on to your gmail account
- click on settings at the top
- on your settings tab click on forwarding POP/IMAP

in the FOWARDING SECTION
- click on the bubble "forward a copy of incoming mail to (your 10 digit cell number@text.att.net
- on the next option if its not listed click on the arrow so that keep gmail's copy in inbox

in the pop download section:
skip number 1(don't choose any bubbles) then go to number 2. keep gmail's copy in inbox should be listed. go to IMAP SECTION

IMAP SECTION
- click on the first bubble. Enable IMAP
- save settings.

that right there will send you a text whenever you have any kind of mail that goes to your gmail account. no need to manually check or fetch/push. whenever you get a message just check your email. By the way....i hope you have unlimited text if you wanna use this option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you so much. Yes I do have unlimited text messages and phone calls, because I pay monthly bills on how many minutes I talked, text messages I sent, internet I used, etc. and I am not an AT&T user by the way because I don't even live in the USA yet. So I don't know, will it work? My network provider is Egyptian and is called Mobinil. If there's any data I need to get from Mobinil, you can tell me if you know it. Then I can give them a phone call and check it out. Like the number@text.att.net thing, maybe there's a replacement for Mobinil?

Thanks again.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
on my gmail account whener i get an email ill get a sms stating i received an email. no need to waste battery on push or fetch.
Wow thats such a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? lol
I guess because I don't have unlimited texting but this will for sure save battery life.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Is the iPhone 3G's battery really this bad that we would have to go this route to save some juice:eek:
battery is ok. i usually let mine drain out completly at least twice a week. This gmail option is just another quick way of letting the owner know he/she has an email without using the fetch system on the phone. It's usually sent out within 10 seconds of an email. For pictures or videos slightly longer but not by much.