Few general easy questions about iPhone.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

depo

Nov 11, 2007
Hi guys,

Got my iPhone few days ago,but I got few questions.

1.All my contacts are on my sim card,but how can I transfer them to iPhone or at least browse them from iPhone? I don't want to believe that I have to enter them one by one in the iPhone! I got around 200 contacts on my sim card...

2.Why doesn't my iPhone turns screen horizontally when I`m typing sms? Is there an option to change or? On-screen keyboard is so small,i just mistype all the time. As I understand - if I turn around my phone,it should turn screen and give me extended much bigger on-screen keyboard.

3.Im using gmail on my iPhone.Lets say i`ve received 2 emails, but after checking and archieving them on my PC iPhone still shows as unread.Its just so annoying to do it twice - on pc and then phone.Any settings to change that iPhone marks them as unread when i have read them on pc ?

4.How to disable predictive sms typing? Im typing in other langauge and it messes everything up.

5.Is there a free version of skype for iPhone ?

6.3rd party apps.Anybody knows any good installers or websites? I love 3rd party apps,so cool some of them!

Cheers guys :)

Oct 11, 2007
1.All my contacts are on my sim card,but how can I transfer them to iPhone or at least browse them from iPhone? I don't want to believe that I have to enter them one by one in the iPhone! I got around 200 contacts on my sim card...

2.Why doesn't my iPhone turns screen horizontally when I`m typing sms? Is there an option to change or? On-screen keyboard is so small,i just mistype all the time. As I understand - if I turn around my phone,it should turn screen and give me extended much bigger on-screen keyboard.

3.Im using gmail on my iPhone.Lets say i`ve received 2 emails, but after checking and archieving them on my PC iPhone still shows as unread.Its just so annoying to do it twice - on pc and then phone.Any settings to change that iPhone marks them as unread when i have read them on pc ?

Cheers guys :)
1. You have to enter them manually or use a program like Outlook Express to type them up and then sync them to your iPhone.

2. As far as I know, Safari is the only app you can use that allows you to rotate the screen and type horizontally.

3. Do you update your Inbox after you check it on your PC?

depo

Nov 11, 2007
1. You have to enter them manually or use a program like Outlook Express to type them up and then sync them to your iPhone.

2. As far as I know, Safari is the only app you can use that allows you to rotate the screen and type horizontally.

3. Do you update your Inbox after you check it on your PC?
1. I cant believe it :(

2.SO hard to type with such a small keyboard :(

3.Yes.And in addition, when I send email to somebody my iPhone says that I got new mail,when I`m checking its an email I just sent from pc.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
3.Yes.And in addition, when I send email to somebody my iPhone says that I got new mail,when I`m checking its an email I just sent from pc.
It's a know issue. Google is working on it. You may want to use the imap version of gmail. Go to gmail > settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > choose ENABLE IMAP.

Then uninstall gmail from your iPhone and reinstall again. When istalling, DO NOT click the quick install gmail icon. Follow the rest of instructions located here: FULL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ARE HERE

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
5.Is there a free version of skype for iPhone ?

6.3rd party apps.Anybody knows any good installers or websites? I love 3rd party apps,so cool some of them!

5. no there is no FREE version of tskype for iPhone. There is one where you have to pay something like $30/year.

6. If you haven't updated to 1.1.2 yet, go to jailbreakme.com and install. It takes about 20 seconds and it is very very easy. Then you'll be able to install as many apps as available through installer

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Since we are on the topic of having easy questions answered, I was wondering if anyone knew how someone can close applications on the iPhone. Do I have no choice but to have Google Maps, my email, Safari, and youtube all run in the background with no way of exiting them? Seems silly.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Do I have no choice but to have Google Maps, my email, Safari, and youtube all run in the background with no way of exiting them? Seems silly.
Not sure i understand your question...

Everytime you hit the home button you automatically close any application you're in (except if you're playing music on ipod mode).

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
You might check out the Funambol site to transfer your contacts - I have not used it because I had everything on the Mac Address Book - but a friend used it to transfer his contacts.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Not sure i understand your question...

Everytime you hit the home button you automatically close any application you're in (except if you're playing music on ipod mode).
I was under the impression that if I had an app running like, say, google maps, if I pressed the home button it takes me back to the home screen, but the app continues to run in the background. It makes sense because everytime I open an app again, no matter which one, it shows the last thing it had displayed.

I wanted to know if there was a way to actually exit the app completely.

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
to completely close an app, hold the home button until you are taken to the home screen. Do not just press the button, actually press and hold it down for around 5 seconds.

Also, most if not all of these questions can be found using the search button for the forums. I wanted to point that out because some of the senior members get a little miffed when someone has not searched.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
to completely close an app, hold the home button until you are taken to the home screen. Do not just press the button, actually press and hold it down for around 5 seconds.

Also, most if not all of these questions can be found using the search button for the forums. I wanted to point that out because some of the senior members get a little miffed when someone has not searched.
I appreciate the info. I actually did try a search on this subject, as it takes longer to get a response than it does loading a webpage, ;) but words that were crucial to my finding this information were deemed "too common, short..."