few questions before purchase

JLevine

Jan 14, 2009
I plan to buy an iPhone in a day or two and I have been doing a lot of research on accessories, cases, screen protectors, etc... But I have a few lingering questions:

The appstore seems to be a huge part of why the iPhone will never be "killed". I think I would enjoy the occasional game and fun item on the appstore and I also plan to get any app which can increase productivity or convienence.

How much can I expect to spend on app's?

Also, it seems that the two big types of protective shields for the iPhone are those like the anti-glare/crystal and the zagg invisibleshield.

Which do you prefer and why? (if I were to use the zagg, I wouldn't put the back on)

Do I need to spend upwards of $30 to get a cleaning kit for the iPhone?

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Zagg = yuck. Get the anti-fingerprint from SGP. Looooove mine. I also have a Seidio Innocase II. Perfect combo.

As for the app store... Well it's hard to say how much u will spend... Hit family up for a $25 iTunes card. ;)

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
You can blow as much or little money as you want on both apps and phone proctection. In my opinion You DO NOT need to spend $30 bucks on cleaning junk unless you are obsessive compulsive!

When I got my 3g back in Aug. I went out and bought a $30 Griffin Leather case with plans of just returning it after ordering something with awesome reviews...I still have the same case and with an upgrade of a clear shield over the screen, its been serving me really well.

App store spending totally depends on what you want. If you're looking for a decent app for your tasks and organization, you can probably get it for free or little money. I spend probably average of $5 bucks a month on apps (both games and productivity) and don't feel like I'm missing out on too much.

The app called Appsniper is pretty cheap and tracks all app price drops...I check this every day or 2 to see if theres anything must have apps on sale.

Hopefully this helps a little!

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I have the Zagg Invisible Shield on the back of my iPhone. I just have a regular screen protector on the front. I didn't like the feel of the Zagg Invisible shield on screen. It has an "orange peel" feel to it. Some like it, some don't.

I would recommend if you are going to be walking around a lot to invest in a nice case though. Better to be safe than sorry!

As far as apps go, I'd start out w/ some of the free ones. There are a ton of them. My recommendations are:

Pandora Radio.
iShoot lite
The Weather Channel
Darts
Around Me
Shazam
TapDefense
VirtualPool

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
Have you checked out AppShopper? You can see what kinds of apps are out there and the prices.

There are a lot of free good apps. I try not to spend too much on apps.

I spent about $45 on a Case-Mate Naked Case and Holster Clip. The clip doesn't feel very secure though.

To be honest, I had no idea there were cleaning kits.

Other expenses you might want to consider are accessories like docks, speakers, car FM transmitter, better ear phones, etc.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I repeat a previous post, 'don't buy the cleaning kit. Get a good case if you are so inclined and a good screen protector and you'll be fine.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Make your decision on what the current iPhone capabilities are now, not what they might be, or what you want. Ahem, MMS, copy/paste.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
As far as cleaning goes i use the same stuff i use to clean my 55'' tv and comp monitors. or i just use the spray stuff i use to clean my glasses ( spraying it on a microfiber cloth of course not directly on the phone)

I have a griffin wave case . I don't use the harp plastic cover it came with for the screen i have a crystal film for that but i really like the case for security it gives it a lot of bump and small drop protection

JLevine

Jan 14, 2009
thanks for the replies

I have looked up some videos on the SGP shields and I think im gonna go with those (the screen shield and the back ultra thin).

I am curious what smknSRT8 meant by " Make your decision on what the current iPhone capabilities are now, not what they might be, or what you want. Ahem, MMS, copy/paste."

can you please expand? (i already know the "left" out features of the iPhone 3g, and I am fine with them considering I will be upgrading from a razr lol)

rmfnla

Bronze
The phone comes with a piece of microfiber cloth that does a great job of cleaning.

I haven't needed anything else and I run naked. (Actually, I carry my 3G in a Belkin Slim Case but that's i.t)

JLevine

Jan 14, 2009
Thanks for the replies again, and I have yet another quick question.

If my area doesn't support 3G network but I always have access to wifi of some sort will that inconvenience me?

Also my school has wireless all over the campus but it requires a login and a confirmation box, will I be able to access it via iPhone 3g?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
My iPhone has never had a case. I have also never bought any apps. I've had it since February and its holding up quite nicely.

As for your last question...wi-fi is usually faster than 3g anyway. The login confirmation is annoying because everytime u put your phone to sleep, you have to do the authentication once you wake it up.

Oct 3, 2008
You can find great games for less than 5 dollars. However, the blockbusters are sold at a price that can exceed $10.