Fido/Rogers Data plan - Internet Block

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone here is using Fido or Rogers in Canada and have their internet blocked on the account. I was told that Fido/Rogers can block internet on your account so I can't use 3G/EDGE/GPRS on the phone...but also that iPhone can somehow still over-ride those blocks. Is that really true? Is iPhone really that smart? :eek:

Did anyone try that?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone here is using Fido or Rogers in Canada and have their internet blocked on the account. I was told that Fido/Rogers can block internet on your account so I can't use 3G/EDGE/GPRS on the phone...but also that iPhone can somehow still over-ride those blocks. Is that really true? Is iPhone really that smart? :eek:

Did anyone try that?
I am using it on Rogers and I was told that too. it sounds out-right stupid. I just got it this month and so I'm waiting for my bill! *Fingers Crossed*.

I had no problems what-so-ever when I used the original iPhone with a Rogers sim.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
When I had my v1 (unlocked), I put a Rogers SIM card with data blocked in it, and it was able to fetch data properly.

Putting the same SIM card in a BlackBerry Pearl, it was unable to connect or do anything data-wise.

I guess.. yes?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
You have to specifically tell them that you want to block data on an iPhone. There are two blocks they implement if you tell them that. It's the APN or something, I'm not sure.

I never had a problem with my V1

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
I know the thread is kinda old but now I know why the iPhone can connect to the internet even with a block. I found out during Rogers' iPhone training last week.

So there are four ports that Rogers has which cellphones use to connect to the internet. For all other phones, except the iPhone, one block is sufficient. Even if they try and block all four ports the iPhone still keeps on trying to connect. Also, they cannot block all four ports, at least one becomes unblocked at some point of time and iPhone can access it (I don't know why it becomes unblocked).

The three blocked ports can prevent the iPhone from accessing the internet through 3G and EDGE but not WiFi. What that means is that if you're using WiFi and are connected to the internet and for some reason the WiFi becomes unavailable for any reason the iPhone will connect to the internet using the 3G or EDGE in spite of the block.

The only way to block it is by jailbreaking it. You can manually turn off EDGE and 3G using SBSettings and that will prevent it from accessing it.

Hope it helps! :)