FileMail (and PhotoMail)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hey guys,

I don't think this little Mobile Substrate tweak has had much press. This neat little add-on allows you to attach any files using the native Mail.app.

Launch Mail, tap and hold on the text field and you will see a little + icon.

I've got ActionMenu installed so that's why I have more options... Tap the + button and you'll see this.

I've already used the Photo feature countless times, I can't believe this isn't native. Tapping on the file button allows you to search through your devices filesystem and attach other files.

This is a great addition to any iPhone, I also suggest downloading PhotoMail as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I agree. Both good tweaks, especially with Action Menu. However, I believe File Mail will only attach documents from iFile. Is that what you have found? There is another tweak called AnyAttach, which can attach files and pics from anywhere, though I haven't tried it yet.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I agree. Both good tweaks, especially with Action Menu. However, I believe File Mail will only attach documents from iFile. Is that what you have found? There is another tweak called AnyAttach, which can attach files and pics from anywhere, though I haven't tried it yet.

You can view your file system straight through the app itself. I don't think it has anything to do with iFile.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Oh, I see. It first took me to docs in iFile. But then I could navigate to other Apps and locate documents there as well. Thanks for the clarification.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why not just hit the email button in iFile? It would take the same amount of time and then you don't have to have to install an extra tweak. I guess if you don't have iFile it would be a nice, but it seems needless if you do. And who doesn't use iFile? Next to SBSettings, it's the most useful Cydia app available, IMO.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Why not just hit the email button in iFile? It would take the same amount of time and then you don't have to have to install an extra tweak. I guess if you don't have iFile it would be a nice, but it seems needless if you do. But who doesn't use iFile? Next to SBSettings, it's the most useful app available, IMO.
These are handy in two cases. One, if you want to add attachments to a Reply or Forward and two, if you want to add multiple attachments, particularly of a different type.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can email multiple attachments with different file types with iFile.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
In a Reply or Forward? Wasn't aware of that. But, while I use iFile some, I rely more on others like Downloads and DocsToGo, so I will always have my files available in the event of a non-jailbreak circumstance.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, not in a reply or forward. I thought #1 was reply or forward and #2 was multiple attachements of different file types. Guess I misunderstood you.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Why not just hit the email button in iFile? It would take the same amount of time and then you don't have to have to install an extra tweak. I guess if you don't have iFile it would be a nice, but it seems needless if you do. And who doesn't use iFile? Next to SBSettings, it's the most useful Cydia app available, IMO.
For those of use who want to attach files in an already composed email?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
For those of use who want to attach files in an already composed email?
If I decided I wanted to attach a file after already having started typing the email, I'd just copy my text and open iFile, but yeah, this tweak is an alternate way to handle that situation. I'm just a minimalist. :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If I decided I wanted to attach a file after already having started typing the email, I'd just copy my text and open iFile, but yeah, this tweak is an alternate way to handle that situation. I'm just a minimalist. :)
To be honest I don't think it really matters, yeah there are other methods but this tweak makes life easier. There is no right or wrong way to attach media, I think this is simple and altogether useful.

VA_doc

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for this! I have been looking for something that will help me attach files to replies/forwards and this should do just fine :)