Filling iPhone 3GS

Sep 18, 2009
Hey guys,

i recently bought an iPhone 3gs 16gb and was wondering if by filling my iPhone with apps music movies and so on will result in it becoming slow.

i ask this question as a previous blackberry storm owner. when i would put more things on the blackberry, it would slow down till the point it wouldn't work.

Thanks for any comments

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've never noticed a performance hit filling up my iPhone to within 100MB of full capacity. The iPhone does not share active memory with flash memory.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I keep mine near capacity, and have never noticed any speed issues. Although, i would leave at least 5% empty if you can.

Sep 18, 2009
ahh thank you guys, this is all really good information.

i don't think i have enough stuff to completely fill it till capacity so i guess i shouldn't have anything to worry about =)

what have you guys thought of the 3.1 update?

it is good that we can now edit video while keeping the original clip

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
you don't really notice it but try not to use up all your memory

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
only time i notice slowness was when i had crap load of apps from cydia ( and obviously modification parts of the os ) but adding and removing regular apps didn't matter.

its flash memory not a hard drive... same way your flash drive's speed is based on what you are transfering/using.

bsed or unix also use a entire diffrent file allocation table ( pretty much points to every small part of data) so negative

Sep 18, 2009
Sweet thank you all for you answers

is there anything that i should regularly do to keep the iPhone running well... like to clear working memory kinda thing...i ask coming from a blackberry that required daily, almost hourly battery pulls aha

....god i love iPhones

thanks again for any help

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i say no, but some people do like to use programs to kill "always-on" apps like Mail and iPod. Unfortunately, all of the apps with this feature have been removed from the app store, or the feature has been removed from them.

Apart from that, if you experience weirdness, a restart usually takes care of it.

Sep 18, 2009
ok so i tryed to restart and i held the sleep button until the red slider came up did that, screen turned black, then went back to home screen with regular slider. i slid it went to home screen then got the little loading symbol then it turned off... is that normal ?