Finally decided to buy

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
So I've finally decided to give up my Treo and get a iPhone. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer,

1) Should I stick to AT&T or wait for some sort of iPhone software unlock ?
2) Is Jailbreaking worth it ? ( I'm a Window User and it seems pretty complicated on Windows)
3) Is there much software for the jail breaking ? I only saw a few ring tones and wall paper hack.

4) Do I update to the latest firmware upon getting the iPhone or I shouldn't if I want to Jailbreak it ?

5) Get it from AT&T or Apple Store ?

Thanks for any help or advice.

andrew79

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
So I've finally decided to give up my Treo and get a iPhone. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer,

2) Is Jailbreaking worth it ? ( I'm a Window User and it seems pretty complicated on Windows)
3) Is there much software for the jail breaking ? I only saw a few ring tones and wall paper hack.

4) Do I update to the latest firmware upon getting the iPhone or I shouldn't if I want to Jailbreak it ?

andrew79
1. I would go with AT&T using a hack wont get you updates
2.Jailbreaking is worth it if you want to change the looks of your phone, I am a windows user and once you complete the first 10 steps everything else is pretty easy.
3. After you jailbreak you can pretty much change all the looks of your phone, icons, dialpad, carrier logo, etc.
4. You can still use jailbreak as of the latest software yes, just remember you will have to do a restore and lose everything if you want to update again
5. I don't think it matters where you buy it from, either way you go home and activate through iTunes.

Hope that helps! :)

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
Great !, thanks for the respond. Been holding out for awhile. I know it's a great phone , it's just kinda hard to fork out the money especially after spending so much on my last few treos.... There's an AT&T store 2 blocks from where I work....... iPhone here I come

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Great !, thanks for the respond. Been holding out for awhile. I know it's a great phone , it's just kinda hard to fork out the money especially after spending so much on my last few treos.... There's an AT&T store 2 blocks from where I work....... iPhone here I come
I know what you mean about forking over the money after spending so much on treos...but look at it this way, you can fetch a decent amount of money for the treo on ebay and put towards your iPhone. I've had my iPhone since 6/30 and still enjoy it as much as the day I got it and don't miss the treo a bit.

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
Haha, the problem is my treo is badly scratched , the only thing that still looks good is it's screen , thank god for the screen protector.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Haha, the problem is my treo is badly scratched , the only thing that still looks good is it's screen , thank god for the screen protector.
I gave my Treo 650 to my son. It keeps crashing for him.
My iPhone has been good to me (not so much with the last update: if you mod, be ready to lose stuff and experience mucho frustration while updating. Mod only if you think you can't live without it).

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana

andrew79
1) There is nothing wrong with AT&T (in my location)
2) In my opinion it is. I am a window user also.
3) I used ibrickr and it works well.
4) You can update with no problems and then hack it!
5) Just get it! If you go to AT&T you can be pre-approved or pre-qualified or something like that.

have fun!

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
I got it. Walked around Apple store for about 20 min debating about it. Now the only regret that I have is....I should have got it earlier....i'm an idiot...lol Thanks for the headsup and advices. You guys have been really helpful. Now I have to play around to figure some stuff. It's weird not having keys to hit in order to type. I am used to Blackberry(work) and Treos(personal) now I have to figured out how to hide it so that I don't have to be Apple's walking advertisement.