Finally dropped it

jcjdoss

Aug 5, 2007
Try putting "egrips" on it, I've had them on all of my portable electronics and they kick ass. Like put the phone on the dashboard and drive the cross bronx at full speed and my ipod stays put. http://www.egrips.com/

ps: for those not from the ny area its one of the most awful pothole and bump tight twisty pieces of highway in the states
Could you take a picture of your Phone with the egrips

BgKnox360

Sep 7, 2007
iPhone scratch

i found out that if your back silver plate get scratched you could just cover it up with a silver sharpie

Jul 15, 2007
www.submissiveophelia.com
Sorry to hear about your dropped phone. I guess I have been lucky. My phone has not dropped yet. I take a lot of caution in handling my phone. When I am out it is put away in a case in my purse. When I take it out or use it I make sure I am stopped.

It was bound to happen. I suck at keeping my phones nice and shiny. Last night I proved it. :mad: I bought the Incase Multifunction Sports Case because I like the design and figured it would do an adequate job of protecting the phone.

Up until last night it did. Anyways I was jogging and I was using the arm band. Upon crossing an intersection I felt the phone launch out of the case and to my horror i saw my phone spinning towards the sidewalk in front of me. After spending the kind of money we spent on our phones there is nothing more horrifying than watching your iPhone tumble through the air in slow motion headed for concrete. :eek: It took a couple short bounces and I began to cry. So I picked it up to inspect the damage and to my amazement the screen was untouched. Unfortunaley the backside didn't fare so well. The damage is not bad but definitely noticeable. The bottom black plastic sustained some moderate scuffing on the corners and the upper metal backing has some nice sized gouges in the corners as well, mostly around the camera but at least a tenth of an inch away from the lens. So I tested all the functions wondering what else was damaged and lo and behold the thing still works. Song picked up where I (or should I say the phone) left off. No other problems that I could notice. I am slightly surprised I mean I run 5 miles at about an 8 minute mile pace and I sped up to cross an intersection so this thing left the case at a pretty good speed, lol.

I think what happened was the velcro strap on top just started to wiggle loose because it's so thin and I don't think the velcro holds that well. Guess I'll have to start paying better attention to it when I run. I still can't believe the screen is not even slightly scratched. Talk about luck! So I didn't call in sick to work and I never once threw up (though I did get a little naucious). :laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Dropped mine on the road once. Two minor dings on the back. They stand out a bit though.
Last night it fell out of my shirt pocket when I leaned down to tie my shoe. Stupid, I know. It fell on it's front, but it only got a ding on the rim on a small scratch on the screen that is invisible when the phone is on.

VicSkimmr

Aug 7, 2007
I was letting my cousin peruse YouTube on it when I first got it. She and my fiance were both watching a video when somebody put their elbow on the table (this is a card table) and since the legs on those things are never the same length the table shot up where they were holding it. I watched in slow motion as my phone took a 4 foot drop to concrete. Then, my aunt tried to pick it up, but she slid it along the concrete with her foot to grab it, then DROPPED IT AGAIN AS SHE TRIED TO PICK IT UP.

I was fuming, but luckily there were only a couple of very minor scuffs on the black plastic where no one would see them. I was amazed to say the least. I about slapped her when she slid it across the concrete with her foot. WTF was she thinking?

macmanx1

Sep 10, 2007
Western Hemisphere, USA
Try putting "egrips" on it, I've had them on all of my portable electronics and they kick ass. Like put the phone on the dashboard and drive the cross bronx at full speed and my ipod stays put. http://www.egrips.com/

ps: for those not from the ny area its one of the most awful pothole and bump tight twisty pieces of highway in the states
I agree completely. I have been using eGrips for a long time on my various phones, portable electronics and even laptops. They are the best. Do not pay attention to the people that say they only last a few months, as they are very wrong. It's simply a matter of taking the extra few seconds to clean off the area where they are being applied with the alcohol wipe included with the egrips and they stay on for years.

Best of all is that they are inexpensive, hardly show on the device, are thin enough to still put it in a case, and come in clear or a variety of colors. I highly suggest them. Especially since you can peel them off at any time without leaving a sticky residue. They can be removed easily & very cleanly.

Jade

Sep 9, 2007
This is a cool site...great to have should new parts be considered! Thanks for posting the URL for everyone!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
cool site

you can buy a new back for like 40$

http://www.ifixit.com/iphone-Parts

coming from one who has messed up MANY a nice phone... there are ALWAYS OEM parts to replace the ones you scratch up dropping your phone... most of mine are caused by work or pure stupidity while drunking... such as tossing nextel many times in arguments with people on the phone LOL I'm much more conscious of the iPhone because unlike the nextels, and tmobile phones i have had i actually like it... LOL
Cool site skiz, you wouldn't know if there is any way to remove fine scratches from the bezel? i bought the incase and it left many scratches on the chrome bezel. Anyone considering the incase ...don't get it, its terribly designed,, it scratches your chrome and the case stretches so it dosent fit properly.
Also was looking over how to replace the battery, phew, way to much delicate work for me, im like a bull in a china shop so id probably break something in there. Ill leave that up to Apple when its time to replace the battery.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
iPhone stress test

It was bound to happen. I suck at keeping my phones nice and shiny. Last night I proved it. :mad: I bought the Incase Multifunction Sports Case because I like the design and figured it would do an adequate job of protecting the phone.

Up until last night it did. Anyways I was jogging and I was using the arm band. Upon crossing an intersection I felt the phone launch out of the case and to my horror i saw my phone spinning towards the sidewalk in front of me. After spending the kind of money we spent on our phones there is nothing more horrifying than watching your iPhone tumble through the air in slow motion headed for concrete. :eek: It took a couple short bounces and I began to cry. So I picked it up to inspect the damage and to my amazement the screen was untouched. Unfortunaley the backside didn't fare so well. The damage is not bad but definitely noticeable. The bottom black plastic sustained some moderate scuffing on the corners and the upper metal backing has some nice sized gouges in the corners as well, mostly around the camera but at least a tenth of an inch away from the lens. So I tested all the functions wondering what else was damaged and lo and behold the thing still works. Song picked up where I (or should I say the phone) left off. No other problems that I could notice. I am slightly surprised I mean I run 5 miles at about an 8 minute mile pace and I sped up to cross an intersection so this thing left the case at a pretty good speed, lol.

I think what happened was the velcro strap on top just started to wiggle loose because it's so thin and I don't think the velcro holds that well. Guess I'll have to start paying better attention to it when I run. I still can't believe the screen is not even slightly scratched. Talk about luck! So I didn't call in sick to work and I never once threw up (though I did get a little naucious). :laugh2:
Checkout the iPhone stress test, the phone was designed to be dropped on concrete and still work, http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

chavezr6

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I haven't seen it, although I just got my iPhone the other day so all this is new to me. Thanks for the link. Damn that thing is tough!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I haven't seen it, although I just got my iPhone the other day so all this is new to me. Thanks for the link. Damn that thing is tough!
Don't trust that video... it's done nothing but foster a false sense of security.

The iPhone's screen can get scratched.

The iPhone can (easily) get damaged in a fall.

--
Mike

wacevedo

Aug 13, 2007
Oregon
Man, I'm in the office and just read your post. I couldn't stop laughing! Not that I'm happy about what happened to your phone, but you have a gift for telling horror stories.

Johny5

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
iDrop

Yep; finally did it as well. Even though it was protected by a POS Belkin case the glass shattered. I called Apple support and was informed that my only option was to send it in and receive a replacement for ~ 260.00 plus an additional 30.00 fee for a lonar phone. Somewhat discouraged I decided to try my local Apple store. After a 2 hour wait I received a refurb replacement at no charge ! yes, I was surprised as well. Call it luck?, but the Apple genius I spoke with was very understanding. He said he could make this "one time exception" and replace my destroyed phone at no charge.

I got the distinct impression that the fact my phone was in the case when it was dropped was key in the genius' decision? Anyway, I wasn't about to start asking a bunch of questions at that point.

Last edited by a moderator: