Finally got my iPhone 4S: some concerns and need help

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by capri, Jan 27, 2012.

1. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Hi guys,
    After a month of wait, finally got my 16g black iPhone 4s. I also purchased the lifeproof case.
    All so far so good !
    Some concerns:

1. my friend who owns a store recommends I jailbreak with iPhone4s. Other than the ability to load free apps unlimited, is there any advantage to it ? I personally did not jailbreak my 1st gen iPad as I buy online & I don't really need all that many apps.

2. How does one totally turn off the iPhone when not using (like @ night ?) I usually press the top most bottom on the iPhone, only to realize that the phone is NOT totally off in that mode.
    I usually have my phone next to my bed & last night @ midnight, someone was texting me & it woke me up, not realizing the phone was not totally off.
    Do you guys totally turn off the phone ? Also want to conserve battery when not using it especially when I'm asleep.

3. Anyone here using Assistive Touch ? I understand for the most part of this neat feature until i get to the custom gestures. What exactly does the 2, 3, 4 and 5 hand mean ? It seems when you press the 2 hands, 2 blue round dots appear on the screen. What do i do w/ this ?

4. on the mail service, what is the difference between PUSH and FETCH ? I have mine on fetch manually, but am curious what PUSH actually does ?

5. What is the proper way of closing an app after use ? For example, after using the NOTES or REMINDERS, how do you formally close them so it will not work @ the background. I understand from reading this will increase battery life by doing so ?

6. Wow, battery life is pretty short. In the two days i had it, i almost had to recharge it 2x a day.

So far that's it & looking forward to the replies.

Cheers,
    Capri

2. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Jailbreaking is a personal preference. I did it manly for sbsettings, bites s and MyWi- do some research on those. If you don't want the jailbreak, just restore with iTunes and you are back to normal.
    To turn the phone completely off hold the off button until a red slider appears on the top, then slide to power off
    Most apps won't run in the background especially the ones you noted. To completely shut an app, double click the home button to see which ones are "open" the. Close to your liking.
    I recommend you do some searching as some of your questions are rudimentary

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Ensure your phone is already plugged into the charger prior to holding the power button and ten sliding to power off. if you don't do this a phone that is off will turn back on when plugged into a power supply.
    Fetch means that your phone will only search (connect to network) for new email on a time interval o manually (when you open the email app). Push means that when ever a new email is received by your email network it will get sent (pushed) to your device immediately instead of waiting for the fetch interval.
    IMO no question is rudimentary.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Notice the part where the OP said they just got the phone?

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You could also flip the silent/vibrate on so the phone won't ring or alert you if someone texts you after bedtime. Just remember to flip it back on when you wake up. ;)

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Just remember a phone vibrating on a nightstand sounds like a b-52 flying over your bed. Lol

7. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Thanks guys for the helpful info, yes, i just got my iPhone two days ago so there's a lot to learn.
    Anyone here with experience on the assistive touch feature ?
    Do you guys usually totally shut down the phone @ night or when not in use ?
    To turn it back on, what buttons do you press ?

Thanks again for the many help.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Just wanted to say congrats on the phone ...once you get a hang of it it is truly a great device.
    I choose not to JB because it is so stressfull when something goes wrong and the iOs updates you start all over again.
    If it worked 100% with out glitches I may change my mind.
    Don't worry you come to the right place to find out all you need to know......
    Just play around and try out things on the phone and you may be surprised at a feature you didn't know about.

9. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

I did not jailbreak my IPAD I & i'm alright with that decision. I need it more for reliability.
    I don't think i will JB my iPhone either.
    Siri is awesome !

10. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Instead of turning your phone off just put it on airplane mode. That way you can still use the alarm and listen to music. You will find the battery life will seem to get better when some of the newness wears off and you aren't playing with it so much, but one thing to do is turn the brightness down some.

11. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Thanks. I'll try the recommendation by this group. Appreciate it.
    My daughter advice i get Battery Doctor from app store. Anyone tried this ?

12. John LaRochelle

John LaRochelle New Member

Assistive Touch is a new interface found in iOS 5 that gives users quick access to certain commands. The new feature was enabled in the third beta of iOS 5 released to developers on Monday.

With Assistive Touch, an overlay menu is displayed that presents the user with commands that usually require certain physical actions, such as rotating the screen or shaking the device. This new feature allows for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch to be more accessible to those who may not be able to accomplish these tasks.

Using Assistive Touch, users can just tap the onscreen controls using just one finger. Doing this will tell the operating system to do gestures that would usually require the user to do a more complex task, like use two or three fingers.

Other available commands include locking the screen, adjusting the volume, and finger-based gestures like pinch and swipe.

Users can also create custom gestures, tracing certain patterns or movements with their fingers on the screen to accomplish some tasks that may be difficult. These gestures can then be given a name and accessed from the Assistive Touch menu.

As the latest build of iOS 5 is beta software intended only for developer testing, the feature seems incomplete and buggy at present. But its addition is significant for those who may be aided by the addition of Assistive Touch when iOS 5 becomes available for device this fall.

13. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the info assistive touch. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

14. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

I never shut off my phone. But you should periodically. There are a few tricks to extend your battery life. Look at the locator and turn off any app that is constantly using your location. Minimize notifications Uncheck the unneeded items in spotlight search. Minimize the pushing and fetching and turn off sending diagnostic data to Apple. ( in general ). The compass and the locator in the reminders app are real battery suckers. In short, learn your phone and shut off anything you can do without. It makes a big difference. Have fun. I was totally smart phone illiterate too but I'm coming around. And until you're a real pro don't even worry about jail breaking. I don't think I'll ever get there.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't be afraid to jailbreak. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I can jailbreak just fine. I still feel like:

[​IMG]

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll always be Jailbreak Man to me. You were the first one here to master iFile. I remember telling Kaba, "Well, no, I don't know how to unarchive, edit and install themes directly on the phone without SSH myself, but I know someone who does."

17. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

that is why I did try and answer some of his questions
    Does that deter him from searching ?
    Just some friendly advice for him as it helped me learn a lot.
    I mean, " how to turn the phone off " is easily found by a simple search

18. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the help guys! I'll look @ those things you guys suggested.

19. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Tights?