FINALLY.... iPhone retina apps display at full resolution on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad 3' started by Tinman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Try running Google+. When you 2x to zoom it you will get the full retina version of the app. On iPads 1 and 2 it would simply pixel-double the 320x480 version. When you tap 1x to go back to the smaller version you get the non-retina view of the iPhone app.

Did a quick look around and didn't see this posted. If it's old news I apologize.

EDIT: Ok just noticed it is the retina iPhone version whether it is 1x or 2x (zoomed). Again, it doesn't actually display the 320x480 non-retina version (unless it is a non-retina iPhone app of course).

Michael

2. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Here is Google+ first on iPad 3 and then iPad 1 (or 2). And, no, this is not just a 5.1 thing--only seems to be iPad 3 right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael

Attached Files:

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

The way they are posted, I hope the ipad 3 is the first screenshot. Obviously it is as the 2nd pic is quite pixelated on the wording. Just a heads up.

4. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks! Fixed it.

Michael

5. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

Why doesn't Google+ make an iPad app?

6. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Ok just noticed it is the retina iPhone version whether it is 1x or 2x (zoomed).

Again, it doesn't actually display the 320x480 non-retina version (unless it is a non-retina iPhone app of course).

Michael

7. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I suspect they will.... look how long it took Facecrook though!

On the other hand they are probably in no rush for iOS when they are trying to get Android tablets some traction.

Michael

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm a little confused. The iPad 3 is my first iPad. I don't count the iPad 2 that I bought on release day last year because I only used it for about 2 hours before I returned it. Anyway, when I use retina iPhone apps on my iPad 3 they show up as a small app in the center of the screen. I can press the 2x in the corner to zoom in, but they look pixilated. Is it just some apps that are high res when you zoom in?

9. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

iPhone apps aren't made for the iPad. Usually there is an iPad equivalent in the store. Anything in the app store with a plus sign in the upper right corner are compatible with both the iPhone and iPad. Otherwise you have to check if it's an iPad or iPhone app.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I knew all of that; that's why Tinman's original post here is confusing me. I've paid for several iPad versions of apps, such as Word with Friends iPad HD, so they'll show up in high resolution on the iPad. His post makes it seem like the retina iPhone version of WWF should show up high res, but it doesn't. It looked pixelated to me. Is it just certain iPhone retina apps (like Google+) that look good when you zoom in? None of mine do.

11. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

why'd you return your iPad 2?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Actually, to me your post is confusing :). I just loaded my iPhone version of WWF and, as expected, it is in retina on my new iPad.

Perhaps you don't remember what iPhone apps used to look like on the iPad? The difference is kind of hard to miss.

And the reason I like this is because not all apps are not universal. Even in the case of WWF I'm not sure I would have purchased both versions if it just came out today. Granted that is not an expensive app but I could get by with 640x960 for a word game, utility, etc.

Michael

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So WWF for iPhone looks crystal clear with absolutely no fuzziness on the edges when you zoom in on it on your iPad 3? It didn't on mine. The iPad HD version looks better, and it's full-screen by default, which is nice.

I think I get what you're saying, though - the retina iPhone apps look better on the iPad 3 than they did on the iPad 2, which makes sense. I don't have anything to compare it to since I didn't have an iPad 2.

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Words with friends on iPad 3:

[​IMG]

Michael

Attached Files:

15. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

WWF on iPad 1 (or 2):

[​IMG]

Michael

Attached Files:

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

On the iPads 1 and 2 there was no retina iPhone apps at all. iPhone apps always reverted to 320x480, pre retina, resolution (as if it was a 3GS or older).

To me the difference now is very dramatic. I hated iPhone apps on my iPad. I won't say I love them or anything but they run at 4x the number of pixels. That is a big difference.

Again, the app has to have a retina version, obviously. Any old pre-retina apps will show no improvement. But I don't think I even have any of those anymore.

Michael

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sorry for the confusion. What I initially thought you were saying was that the retina iPhone apps should look just as good on the iPad 3 (zoomed in) as they do on the iPhone 4S and that wasn't what I was experiencing and that's why I was confused. I noitice enough pixelation that I'm upgrading to the iPad HD versions, but I understand that the retina iPhone apps look better on the iPad 3 than they do on the iPad 2. Thanks for clarifying.

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

While iPhone apps aren't made for the iPad they do of course run on the iPad. Prior to the iPad 3 they looked like crap--as if it was an iPhone 3GS or older.

This has been discussed since the iPhone 4 came out. Many people, me included, felt iPhone retina apps should run at full resolution on the iPad since it had more pixels than the iPhone 4 and could handle it. But it never did--not even when the iPad 2 came out with the A5 processor.

It's not as important now, with many iPad apps out. But not all apps are universal and I can think of several apps right now where I would have skipped the iPad version had the iPhone version run at full resolution. Words with Friends is one of them, as I play it mostly on my iPhone when out and about. The way the iPhone version runs now on my iPad is acceptable to me and I would likely have only used it rather than buying iPad version (granted this is about the cheapest app going lol).

Michael

19. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

These mods. You gotta draw 'em a bloody diagram. :)

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here are screenshots of WWF retina for iPhone and WWF HD for iPad running on the iPad 3. I don't know how it looked on the iPad 2, but there is still a pretty big difference between the two, IMO.

iPhone Retina version on iPad 3:
    iphone.png

iPad HD version on iPad 3:
    ipad.png