Finally, SNOW!

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Last night, here in little old Soldotna, Alaska, we got our first snow of the season. Hopefully it is here to stay. But the weatherman is promising no such thing. We will see. Just glad it's finally here.

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Never seen someone happy for snow. It's showing up on my weather radar for tomorrow. I'm guessing a late night dusting at best. Still, snow this early in November doesn't bode well for winter in NY.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I would love to see snow. Heck, right about now I would like to see weather cooler than the 80's.

Kurt
Phoenix, AZ

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I would love to see snow.

Kurt
Phoenix, AZ
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1384192863.611986.jpg

There's the view out my office window at 9 am here in Alaska. And here is my son getting ready for school this morning:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1384192926.102136.jpg

We always get antsy for snow by mid to late October. I've lived in Alaska for 39 of my 42 years and can count on one hand the number of times we didn't have snow by Halloween.

Sent using iCafe app

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I'm flying out to see Mindi tomorrow. It can snow anywhere but in my flight path.
I won't wish snow on you, but I will wish for some cool temperatures by Sunday afternoon/evening there in Vegas, which is where I think you said your meet and greet is, as I have a buddy running a half marathon there that night.

Sent using iCafe app

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
View attachment 31791

There's the view out my office window at 9 am here in Alaska. And here is my son getting ready for school this morning:

View attachment 31792

We always get antsy for snow by mid to late October. I've lived in Alaska for 39 of my 42 years and can count on one hand the number of times we didn't have snow by Halloween.

Sent using iCafe app
That is so beautiful. Reminds me of my time in Germany. We have to drive for 3 hours to see snow here.

Kurt
Phoenix, AZ

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I won't wish snow on you, but I will wish for some cool temperatures by Sunday afternoon/evening there in Vegas, which is where I think you said your meet and greet is, as I have a buddy running a half marathon there that night.

Sent using iCafe app
No problem. We'll only be in Vegas tomorrow night.

View attachment 31791

Sent using iCafe app
Man that's awesome! I've always wanted to visit Alaska! It's one of the very few states in America I've haven't gotten the chance to visit yet. I'd love to do some hiking/camping out there.

Sent using iCafe app

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
You sound like my brother in law, he snowboards and goes snowmobiling so he lives for snow. I live in the Denver area and we had about an inch of snow a few weeks ago, but that was it. I'm enjoying the heck out of the mid 60's the past few days with riding my motorcycle.

Sent using iCafe app

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
If we get 1" of snow here in North Alabama, the schools close and the supermarkets run out of milk, bread and toilet paper.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
If we get 1" of snow here in North Alabama, the schools close and the supermarkets run out of milk, bread and toilet paper.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app
Well, I'll be. We've always joked about the run on "the essentials" being a Maryland thing ... well, I guess it's kinda universal ...

Sent using iCafe app

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Never seen someone happy for snow. It's showing up on my weather radar for tomorrow. I'm guessing a late night dusting at best. Still, snow this early in November doesn't bode well for winter in NY.
Snow is awesome. Next time get your camera out and start shooting.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I grew up in northern Utah and I moved down near Vegas to get away from the snow. I don't care if it's 115° outside. I just put a CamelBak on before hitting the trails. I'll take heat over cold any day.

My brother lives in Alaska and I want to visit soon, but I think I'll choose a warmer time of year.

@bballrob that parking lot picture reminds me of a scene from Fargo.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Here's the scene I was referring to. It's one of my favorite movies.

image.jpg

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Never saw that movie. Maybe I'll have to download it while I head out for my first snow run of the season right now.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I grew up in northern Utah and I moved down near Vegas to get away from the snow. I don't care if it's 115° outside. I just put a CamelBak on before hitting the trails. I'll take heat over cold any day.

My brother lives in Alaska and I want to visit soon, but I think I'll choose a warmer time of year.

@bballrob that parking lot picture reminds me of a scene from Fargo.
What part of Alaska does your brother live in?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What part of Alaska does your brother live in?
It's a fairly remote area. I can't recall the name of the city, but it's about an hour from Anchorage.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
It's a fairly remote area. I can't recall the name of the city, but it's about an hour from Anchorage.
Anything within an hour of anchorage is hardly considered remote. Unless it is a one hour plane flight.

That being said, the most likely places that close to Anchorage would be Eagle River, Palmer Wasilla, Talkeetna, Indian, Girdwood or Whittier.

You sound like my brother in law, he snowboards and goes snowmobiling so he lives for snow. I live in the Denver area and we had about an inch of snow a few weeks ago, but that was it. I'm enjoying the heck out of the mid 60's the past few days with riding my motorcycle.

Sent using iCafe app
Love Denver and all of Colorado. Spent most my summers as a teen in Co. My family lives in conifer and some of my best memories are from out there.

Sent using iCafe app