Finally starting to get frustrated with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by talon90, Mar 29, 2012.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

***Edit*** Perhaps a moderator could move this to General Discussion for me. I guess it shouldn't have gone in to the iPhone forum but the iPhone General Discussion. ...Thanks.

I just left an on line chat with an AT&T representative. Long story short, my wife who wasn't much of a phone person is getting sucked in to the fold. My wife is using my old 3GS and has been since I upgraded to the 4S. Her friends are starting to text message her and she doesn't have a message plan so this is costing us about $8 or so dollars a month (which I'm sure will only go up over time). Neither of us are very big text messager people but we seem to be being forced in to use by our friends and family who seem to only want to SMS (I only have a 200 message plan for $5 per month). Well, we finally decided that we should add a lite messaging plan to her phone like mine. Guess what? There are no more lite messaging plans. AT&T used to have three message plans that I recall. a 200, a 1,000 and an unlimited. Now they offer only unlimited for $20.00 per line and Unlimited family messaging a shared $30.00 per account group. We qualify for this since we are on a family talk plan but why should I be forced to pay $30.00 for a service that I won't get value from. I think my wife sent/received a total of 30 messages last month.

I also just noted on line that my wifes data plan is gone as well (200MB iPhone data plan for $15.00/month) If we ever accidentally changed plans we would be forced to move up to a 300MB plan for $20.00/month) much the same fear I have about my grandfathered "unlimited" data plan (which we all know is really only good for 3GB). Why the fuss you ask? I mean it is 50% more data for only $5.00 per month right? Well, my wife used 24MB of data last month. Why would I want to pay any more for additional data that we would never use.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate the fact that we are all being punished for the data hogs of the world. I've never had a problem with my phones or with AT&T's service in the past but the more I see and the more I read about how they are handling things and moving forward makes me want to find a new carrier that is less focused on fees and restrictions.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Moved to General Discussion.

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Sorry to say, but looks like AT&T is the best in terms of data here. Verizon's data plan is much more then AT&T, and sprint is no better. Text messaging I'm unsure, but why not just become texters and get the plan? :)

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Oops. I just moved it into the AT&T section...

5. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I know, I know. That would be the easy way for us to go and it really isn't that much money. I guess it was just the principle. We don't need nor use that much in the way of data or text messages and we're being forced to go in that direction and pay additional money. Just a little frustrating. $120.00 per year more out of our pockets and in to their's and we really gain nothing for it.

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

But they could of put a block on your account. Them reps can do everything!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

7. aknightstale41

Gold

Not sure but isn't there free texting apps from the app store? Would be a possible solution for you and your wife if there is.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can use one of several texting apps in the App Store. Some are free (ad-supported) and some cost a few dollars, but it's a one-time charge for the app and there are no monthly fees like there is with cellular texting. The apps use Internet instead of cellular. It doesn't sound like she's anywhere near her data cap for Internet and light texting won't really make a dent in that. It will use WiFi while you're at home. As long as she doesn't text a bunch of MMS and videos over 3G, she probably won't even notice a difference in her data usage.

9. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

On the bright side, with unlimited text ($30), you get unlimited mobile to ANY mobile # calling. Not just AT&T. That made me enjoy it more since part of my family still sticks with Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

10. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

She could freely send/receive texts using a Google Voice number. YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

11. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

Only 200 texts a month Wow I'm up to 1254 on just my line and I've slowed down abunch, when I was dating my wife we hit 400 to 600 a day.......guess thats why they made it all unlimited so other "light" texters could cover the cost us heavy texters cause lol. But don't feel bad I pay for minutes that just keep rolling over as all my calls are covered by the unlimited mobile to any mobile now free with unlimited messaging

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

12. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

omG lol, , my gf would be my ex gf if she text me 400 times a day lol.

13. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

At $8 a month on a per-use basis it's still cheaper than any plan add-on. I'd just keep paying for texts the way you have it now and keep an eye on it.