Find me an RSS reader!

Vexir

Jun 7, 2009
I did about half an hour of googling and I didn't come up with anything useful so I thought I'd probe your brilliant minds.

All I'm looking for is an RSS reader app that has the following simple requirements, outside of these I don't really care:

1) Syncs with Google Reader or some other desktop/web RSS interface (because I like reading on my computer and on my phone. depending. and I want them to sync.)

2) Has support for twitter (I'd like to be able to tweet headlines I read, bonus points if it can do URL shortening too)

3) Has push notification or has it coming in the works eventually.

Anybody know of an app that does these things? I could care less about any of the other features, those three are the ones I want.

EDIT:// Okay, forget number 3, I just read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=725455 and that makes it highly unlikely that anyone will support push. Then again, if they do, and you guys know about it, let me know :p

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Honestly by far and away the best reader app if you need sync with Google Reader is ... Google Reader, in the Safari browser. It works super-fast, syncs instantly of course, and is continually getting tweaked and improved by Google.

If you don't absolutely need Google Reader sync, the next best IMO is NetNewsWire - has a good desktop app for Mac and a good iPhone app, and loads of good features.

Others that are decent that sync with Google include Byline, Feeds, and Doppler.

I don't know of any that have a 'tweet this' type feature - though of course it's easy enough to copy a link now in OS 3.0 and paste it into a Twitter app - many of which have good URL shorteners built into them.

Vexir

Jun 7, 2009
Heh, you know what I did instead?

Created a new Twitter account called vexirrss, linked it with twitterfeed.com, added all my RSS feeds in google reader to twitterfeed, and then opened up a new colum in TweetDeck with a search for vexirrss.

Problem solved, now I get a tweet whenever any of those feeds has a new item. And they are in their own column, so I don't miss em.

Well actually I haven't tested it yet, Twitterfeed will update in 30 minutes. But hopefully it should work.

Vexir

Jun 7, 2009
About 8 feeds so far. Just tested it, works great. Didn't even have to make a column for search:vexirrss, just had to add the Twitter account to my TweetDeck. Hooray for multiple account support.

200 feeds? How the hell do you read all that? I barely have time to read all the tweets that come my way.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't always manage to keep up. I use Google Reader heavily on Mac and iPhone, and also Feedly on the Mac. Pay much closer attention to certain feeds, don't sleep much - all that kinda thing :laugh2:

Vexir

Jun 7, 2009
I'm only following those blogs that I continually come back to for news.. I expect I'll add a few more, remove some, etc, but I'll always keep the number low so I'm not swamped with info. I have Twitter for that. Not that I read all the tweets.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm only following those blogs that I continually come back to for news.. I expect I'll add a few more, remove some, etc, but I'll always keep the number low so I'm not swamped with info. I have Twitter for that. Not that I read all the tweets.
Fair enough - makes sense - careful though, RSS feeds seem to multiply faster than rabbits for a lot of us :)

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
I use newsstand from the app store. It costs a couple of bucks, but is by FAR the cleanest RSS reader I've found. It syncs great with google reader and allows you to organize the feeds any way you want from inside the app. I have been nothing but happy with it.

Well, now that I actually READ the post, I guess I should clarify newsstand is only for the iPhone as far as I know.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I use newsstand from the app store. It costs a couple of bucks, but is by FAR the cleanest RSS reader I've found. It syncs great with google reader and allows you to organize the feeds any way you want from inside the app. I have been nothing but happy with it.

Well, now that I actually READ the post, I guess I should clarify newsstand is only for the iPhone as far as I know.
Also, Newsstand does not sync with Google Reader - it only imports from it via an opml file - a one-time operation.

Vexir

Jun 7, 2009
Well I don't need to sync to Google Reader anymore because TweetDeck syncs between iPhone and Desktop quite nicely. That, multiple twitter accounts, and multiple columns are its selling features.

Its actually an elegant solution that works really nicely, just check out www.twitter.com/vexirrss to see it :)

If I had a blog I'd blog about it :p

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I have used Byline and Newsstand and would say hands down, Byline is the better app. Syncs with Google Reader, excellent offline reading capabilities, and lots of updates. I would imagine push is on the way, but wonder this may do dye battery life if you have hundreds of feeds pushed to your phone every day