Find out where you're really getting connected to the net...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Someone posted this site a while back in response to that Navizon software that came out and never worked (for me, at least).
www.spyber.com I tend to think of it as the poor man's GPS and spyware checker.
Over Wifi, it's fairly accurate to the area you are in, closest I got was about a mile or so. It goes by the connection IP address to triangulate you.
Over Edge, it's interesting, since you don't always hit the network in the same place.
I can tell you that I live in Atlanta, and when I check over Edge, so far it's telling me I an either in Lake Mary, FL. Or Anderson, SC. Interesting, Huh?
This might help people that are experiencing crap edge speeds. You can at least check to see where your hitting the internet from, and if that particular site is the one you connect with when the slowness occurs. Then you can call AT&T and tell them what's happening and give them your IP address and where you're connecting, and see if they can help redirect you to a closer, or less congested connection on the network.

Of course, I could be talking out of my butt, since I am not familiar with cell network access, but it couldn't hurt to try.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
lol...right now i am in norfolk VA, and when i accessed the website it says Region?state: New York City: Irvington...

wow...wayyyyy off... cool site though.

johnjayb

Sep 26, 2007
completely useless!

im in Southern CALIFORNIA... and its telling me that im in Lake Mary, FLORIDA! that is WAYYYY OFFFF

svtguy08

Aug 4, 2007
CA
im in orange county, ca and it shows that I am in riverside, ca thats with edge. If on my home wifi it show the adjacent city to me, not even my city. Ya its pretty useless! :eek:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Not entirely useless...
You get your IP address, and it checks for spyware as well. (look at the bottom of the page)
But in terms of where you are supposedly located and connecting from, yes, it's rather weak. ( but then again, it atleast connects and shows you something, where Navizon wouldn't even connect.)

svtguy08

Aug 4, 2007
CA
Not entirely useless...
You get your IP address, and it checks for spyware as well. (look at the bottom of the page)
But in terms of where you are supposedly located and connecting from, yes, it's rather weak. ( but then again, it atleast connects and shows you something, where Navizon wouldn't even connect.)
Very True. Way to be Positive! :)

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Lol, I live in Texas and says I got my net from Flordia. Only about 1000 miles off. Pretty accurate

;)

Derek Gisriel