Find owner (who bought it) of songs in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by MuddyPaws, Dec 30, 2011.

1. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Ok, here is what happened. I bought another used iPod. This time it was full of music. Well, I copied the songs over to the Mac and then added them to iTunes.

Now the problem. Most songs play on the Mac fine. Many songs won't play on the Mac because it says I am not authorized to play them. Some songs won't transfer to any of my iDevices.

Now, if it were one or 2 then I could delete them based on the error message. But is says something like "so and so song, and others, could not be copied to device"

I am thinking there may be hundreds.

I need a way to find out what songs I am not authorized to play so I can delete them.

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Isn't this technically piracy? He probably purchased the songs from iTunes if you're getting an authorization error...

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I don't think it is piracy because the songs weren't copied and resold.

4. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

yes, the owner of the iPod purchased them. I imported them into my iTunes library planning on doing iTunes match. They won't work that way and I am not going to do iTunes match now so I want to remove them. Delete them. But there are hundreds.

Not piracy.

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Can't you figure out which ones by sorting them by date and time added?

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

To a degree but I did a bunch of changes and stuff to my devices and that same day I ripped somewhere around 40 or 50 CD's and added them to the library.

I just wish there was a way to sort by iTunes account owner or a way to see DRM status. That would help because the CD's I burned wouldn't have DRM.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can open properties of a song and check if it's DRM-protected under orgin. However, it might be just as fast to open them all up in iTunes and try to play them, and delete the ones that won't play. The ones that were purchased after late 2007 in iTunes should work fine.

8. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

That worked for a bunch. Still having issues with a bunch more. They play fine on the Mac but still say can't sync to the device.

Grrrrrr....I did this to myself.